Company: Benchmark International
Posted on: March 18, 2019
$60,000 to $80,000, Job DescriptionThe Transaction Director will lead and further develop the team, manage a sizable portfolio of businesses for sale, and contribute to the company's overall growth; all while retaining responsibility for closing transactions on behalf of our clients. As a result, this is a heavily sales-oriented position requiring tested negotiating skills; empathy; client, portfolio, and personnel management expertise; and a firm understanding of mergers and acquisitions.The team will have members that serve as Senior Deal Associates and will assist in moving transactions to closing, the Transaction Director ultimately bears responsibility for hitting the team's annual revenue targets, handling the tough issues that arise from time to time, and satisfying all client demands throughout the process. This is a frontline M&A role that requires speaking to multiple clients and potential buyers every day. The Deal Teams have been closing between one and two transactions per month over the last several years and the Transaction Director must be able to maintain this successful pace. The position answers to the office's Managing Director who held the role of Transaction Director for several years and will thus be readily-available for meaningful guidance and support.In addition to the Managing Director and Benchmark Internationals' global brand, the Transaction Directors are also supported by the members of the company's Central Support Team, at the Corporate Headquarters in Tampa, FL. The firm's Executive Chairman, CEO, Quality Control Director, IT Director, Marketing Director, and Business Writer, among others, are on hand and regularly interact with the office's management team.Under Benchmark International's model, client origination, general firm marketing, compensation structure, and similar operational distractions are taken off the Transaction Directors' plate to allow a more focused approach on operations and team management. The Transaction Directors' obligations with regard to each client commence with a signed engagement letter and detailed file prepared by the separate Deal Origination Department and continue through every aspect of the transaction (other than legal and accounting services) to the closing and collection of the resulting success fee.Job Responsibilities Success in this role will include a well-balanced approach to contributions in four distinct areas. 1. Manage a portfolio of businesses for sale
- Work directly with business owners looking to exit their business or take on a strategic partner, serving as Benchmark International's primary relationship manager with these clients.
- Ensure the team remains responsive to all client requirements including adequately prompt call-backs, perfectly-crafted correspondence, and compliance with the Terms of Engagement.
- Maintain at least a high altitude understanding of each client in the portfolio, increasing in detail as the clients move through the process.
- Manage team's movement of clients from deal preparation phase through the marketing phase and into negotiations with their acquirers.
- Lead response to any client complaints and notices of termination. 2. Close Transactions
- Directly handle the negotiations of larger clients leading up to letters of intent and then, working with the client's attorney and accountant, drive the transaction through to closing.
- Supervise Assistant Team Leads with negotiations of smaller clients leading up to letters of intent and through to closing.
- Leading up to closing, handle all discussions with client concerning Benchmark International's success fee and ensure timely collection of the same. 3. Manage and develop the team
- Ensure all team members have the training and tools necessary to succeed
- Work with Central Support Team to interview and hire replacements when necessary.
- Ensure the team operates in a respectful, professional, and nurturing environment.
- Distribute workload appropriately.
- Allocate tasks to provide each team member with new challenges, to maintain their engagement level, and to achieve high retention rates. 4. Contribute to corporate growth
- Provide frontline input to process improvement efforts.
- Make team members available on a short-term basis for discipline-specific projects, occasional major transaction engagements, and conference attendance.
- Participate in brand recognition events in the region and throughout the financial community.
- Contribute to office-wide and company-wide training efforts.Job RequirementsAs a leader in our organization, you must be highly energetic and passionate individual with a positive and highly motivated can-do attitude. You must have the strong desire and ambition to succeed in this hugely rewarding industry. It is also vital for your role as a Transaction Director that you possess excellent verbal and written communication, analytic, mathematical, negotiating, and interpersonal skills as well as presentation abilities.The Transaction Director is a client-facing role that must be able to convey bad news and deal with clients' unique sensitivities while keeping each client moving through the company sales process at a steady pace.As each team member's compensation is tied to the closings your team will generate, the team will look to you not only for leadership but also their financial well-being.Relevant experience will include five to ten years working as an M&A professional (e.g., broker, investment banker, accountant, attorney), at least three years of personnel management experience, and a similar period of experience in roles entered on sales and/or direct client management.The successful applicant must:
- Understand the sequence of events in the company sale process.
- Have a firm understanding of financial statements, EBITDA calculations, and the process of identifying and defending add backs.
- Have a passing knowledge of the legal parameters involved in M&A transactions.
- Be familiar with a variety of transaction structures and their relevant merits and drawbacks to the seller.
- Possess the ability to learn the financial and market dynamics of new industries in relatively short periods.
- Communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Be capable of handling setbacks, having difficult conversations with business owners, negotiating against veteran professional acquirers, taking responsibility for process breakdowns even when not responsible, and fostering cooperation with client's attorneys and accountants.
- Consistently present themselves in a professional manner in keeping with Benchmark International's image (as shown, for example, on the company's web site).
- Work outside normal business hours at times, whether early or late, as required client schedules and expectations.
- Be available to travel for occasional overnight trips on short notice (rarely, if ever, longer than three days)
- Be able to obtain a Florida real estate sales associate license within 60 days of employment.
- Have no unfavorable history with FINRA, the SEC, or any state regulatory agency.BenefitsTransaction Directors receive a respectable bi-weekly draw and commissions equal to a percentage of revenue obtained from closing transactions with an additional end-of-year bonus if the team's target is achieved. As a result, overall compensation can vary from year to year based on success. However, all Tampa Transaction Directors have been in the mid to low six figure ranges since this compensation structure was adopted. As with all Benchmark International US employees, this position includes paid time off, medical, dental, and AD&D insurance as well as the opportunity to contribute to a 401(k) with company matching.Company OverviewBenchmark International is one of the world's leading merger and acquisitions specialists specializing in the sale of mid-market companies. With offices throughout the world, we are in touch with all the major acquirers and consolidators who are constantly seeking both on and off market opportunities across all sectors. The enterprise value of our transactions falls broadly within the $2 million to $300 million range, with most being between $5 million and $20 million. Our unique and dynamic international offering presents our clients with unparalleled global coverage, allowing them access through our exclusive databases and business intelligence facilities to both international markets and local representation.Our client base consists almost entirely of owners actively involved in businesses they founded decades earlier. At times, multiple family members are involved. Our clients seek either an opportunity to exit their business or the means to ensure its continued future growth. They look to our company to find both an acquirer with the right fit and a transaction that provides maximum value and the correct structure. As a result of the dynamics of this market, our bespoke process has been developed specifically to handle not only the business aspects of these transactions but also their personal and emotional components. We handle clients in any industry but a disproportionate share of the Tampa office's closings have involved companies involved in the healthcare sector and software developers. Closings have increased year-over-year with over 100 closings company-wide last year and the Tampa office crossing 30 in 2017 for the first time.Benchmark International began in the United Kingdom over a decade ago. Our Tampa headquarters opened in 2013 and continues to grow as our domestic client base and international buyer-contacts expand. We expanded into Texas January 2016. 2017 brought office openings in South Africa, Ireland and the United Kingdom. A new Nashville office will open in January 2018.We offer our clients a unique business proposition that has resonated well with the US market as it has previously with markets in other countries. Recognizing that the US M&A markets are the most robust in the world, particularly in this coveted middle-market range, we are planning to continue to grow our US presence in the coming years. Coming onboard now presents you the opportunity to ride this wave of growth. Benchmark International has always promoted from within and we look forward to bringing you onboard as the next generation of Benchmark International's leaders.Unfortunately, Benchmark International is not in a position to sponsor visas for candidates in its US offices at this time.
Keywords: Benchmark International, Austin , Transaction Director, Sales , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!