Central Sterile Technician
Company: St. David's Medical Center
Posted on: September 13, 2019
Description SHIFT: PRN
SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
Located in central Austin, St. David---sMedical Center includes a
350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bedrehabilitation hospital
providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care.It is home to
the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute and
St. David---sNeuroscience & Spine Institute. Thehospital provides a
complete range of women---s services, including its
acclaimedmaternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk
maternal and neonataltransport team, the region---s largest and
most sophisticated Neonatal IntensiveCare Unit and The Breast
Center; complex surgical services; a comprehensive Bariatric
Surgery Center; and a 24-hour emergency department.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package,including
competitive salary, excellent benefit package and
growthopportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do
excellent workwith us. Your benefits include 401K, PTO medical,
dental, flex spending, life,disability, tuition reimbursement,
employee discount program, employee stockpurchase program and
student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you aboutthis
- Receives, decontaminates, tests, assembles, and sterilizes
various reusable instruments and trays.
- Receives and stores supplies and instruments. Operates various
cleaning and sterilization equipment.
- Assists the Supervisor Sterile Processing with quality control
and documentation of all sterilization
- processes.GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES1. Decontaminates patient
- Retrieves equipment from operating rooms and utilization area
at designated times and as the
- need necessitates.
- Performs decontamination and performance testing in accordance
with established procedures.
- Utilizes cleaning agents in accordance with manufacturer---s
- Notify the appropriate Unit Supervisor and/or buyer of any
- Demonstrates working knowledge of equipment used in area2.
Prepares and sterilizes supplies
- Receives, prepares, and sterilizes items with steam
sterilization in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assembles surgical trays in accordance with current component
- Prepares and files appropriate documentation for each
- Selects the appropriate method of sterilization for each
- Cleans and performs accepted maintenance on instruments and
- Properly loads, operates and cleans all sterilizers, and all
equipment using biologicals and chemical control tests as required
by policies and procedures.3. Receives and stores supplies
- Examines all received supplies for expiration dates, package
integrity, or any visible damage that might compromise
- Rotates and stores stock to achieve first-in / first-out
- Reports stock shortages to the Sterile Processing Supervisor
within a timely manner.
- Works collaboratively with sales representatives.4. Operates
cleaning and sterilization equipment.
- Performs daily or weekly sterilization validation tests per
procedure per sterilizer in accordance with policy and
- Follows departmental established procedures and
manufacturer---s instructions for operation of all cleaning and
- Monitors equipment through all phases of operation. Notes and
reports within 15 minutes probable malfunction. Undertakes the
appropriate procedure in response to a malfunction.5. Must maintain
safe work environment in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Maintains proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while in
the decontamination area.
- Assures general cleaning of department surface areas, racks,
shelves, storage cabinets and all storage areas.6. Participates in
- Assumes responsibilities of Sterile Processing Supervisor in
his or her absence under the direction of the Manager, Sterile
Processing when needed.
- Assesses others in adherence to principles of asepsis.
- Provides two in services yearly relating to sterile processing,
to sterile processing technicians, and other Surgical Services
personnel if needed.--
- Ensures that all sterilization logs and records are correctly
completed two times during each shift.--
- Participates in budget and inventory control.--
- Keeps supervisor and /or buyer informed of needed items.--
- Participates in staff and self-development.--
- Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the
- Participates in performance/process improvement.--
- Assists with orientation of new employees.--
- Completes Annual Equipment Competency Checklist.--
- Attends 80% of Staff Meetings.--
- Attends 90% of Mandatory Education Meetings and In services, if
- Performs other duties as delegated
Qualifications EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:Less than one year of experience
as a Central Sterile Technician--
EDUCATION REQUIRED--High school graduate or equivalent--
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONSRequired: N/APreferred: Certification
through IAHCSMM or CBSPD
HCA Healthcare is a collaborative healthcare network, driven by
physicians, nurses and colleagues helping each other champion the
practice of medicine to give people a healthier tomorrow. With a
comprehensive network of more than 270,000 people across
approximately 1,800 care facilities, our scale enables us to
deliver great outcomes for our patients, provide superior nursing
care and be a preferred place for physicians to practice medicine.
We never stop in our pursuit of insights and care advances based on
the knowledge and data we gain from approximately 30 million
patient encounters a year. Every day, we raise the bar to improve
the way healthcare is delivered, not just in our facilities, but
everywhere. We---re committed to improving more lives in more ways,
and above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of
Keywords: St. David's Medical Center, Austin , Central Sterile Technician, Professions , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!