Company: Charles Schwab
Posted on: September 14, 2020
Your OpportunityWe are looking for an experienced and highly
motivated Platform Architect to join Charles Schwab's Application
and Platform Architecture team. The role will be responsible for
crafting Schwab's technology strategy and helping define the
future-state technology platform and capabilities that will enable
innovation and accelerated product delivery across the firm. You'll
work closely with business, product, and technology partners to
translate results-oriented business and technology vision and
requirements into a private and public cloud platform foundation
that fuel solution development at Schwab for years to come.
The right individual will be a proactive, self-starter that enjoys
and thrives when connecting people and technology to solve
sophisticated problems at-scale. You love researching industry
trends and remaining current on emerging technology. You have a
knack for recommending which technologies and vendor products
should be brought into the portfolio to solve relevant business and
delivery problems. You will analyze, model, and develop complex and
high-level architecture plans that require the integration of
multiple technologies and coordination of functional areas across
the organization. If you have a passion and skill for long-term
end-to-end thinking balanced with working directly with delivery
teams to craft increments that enable value for customers now, this
position is for you!
The Platform Architecture team is responsible for providing
architecture services to high priority initiatives. We are an
organization that values diverse and big thinking, rewards both
behaviors and delivery, and focuses on growth and continuous
improvement - all in support of Schwab's mission to help clients
and one another succeed. This role is an outstanding opportunity to
join a team and company at the beginning of a multi-year platform
transformation whose work will have direct impact on company
direction, our customers, and our industry.What you are good at
- Performing gap analysis to highlight gaps in the technology
stack and its private and public cloud platform
- Learning through engagement with internal and external domain
specialists. Applying those findings in the form of evaluation and
recommendation of technology solutions for the technology and
- Building comprehensive technology strategy documentation,
including use-case elaboration, product evaluation, POC execution,
operational requirements, deployment architecture, investment
concepts, logical and conceptual architecture, and other
- Collaborating with relevant delivery teams, including
infrastructure, operations, site reliability engineering, product
development, and others to perform evaluations, POC's, and
ultimately implement and govern new technology.
- Contributing to and promoting the firm's technology strategy
and act as a SME for consultation, adoption, usage patterns, and
- Participating in roadshows and other forums to explain and
socialize the usage patterns for the enterprise patterns.
- Crafting the content that describes how to implement,
integrate, and operate new and existing technology in the firm,
including developing guidance, patterns, reference architecture,
development handbooks, and other material that enable teams to
- Designing for both functional and non-functional qualities,
including availability, resiliency, security, privacy,
- Mentoring and growing other technologists within the
- Presenting architecture and innovative ideas to executive
leadership for the purposes of alignment and key decision
makingConnecting your business and technical insights to develop
innovative proposals for evolving Schwab's platforms, introducing
new products or capabilities, or improving processes that benefit
the firm or its customers.
What you have
- Ability to own architecture and influence strategic direction
and vision for the future.
- Desire and ability to understand diverse business domains and
develop architectures that meet the current and anticipated
business needs across a broad set of partners.
- Ability to evaluate new technologies and know the latest
- Good judgment and the ability to handle high pressure
- Experience with and knowledge of common Architecture patterns
(e.g. microservices, GoF, SOA, Event sourcing, etc.).
- Experience addressing operational and non-functional concerns
(e.g. horizontal & vertical scalability, performance,
maintainability, load distribution, resilience, recovery, security,
- Experience with Cloud Native (12-Factor) Architecture and
- Knowledge of the enterprise technology space: languages,
frameworks, techniques, and industry trends.
- Ability (and preference) to work in an Agile
- Ability to devise, develop and apply innovative technology to
solutions that would benefit our clients.
- Refined presentation and interpersonal skills and experience
interfacing and communicating effectively with both engineers and
- A strong software engineering and/or architecture background is
Keywords: Charles Schwab, Austin , Platform Architect, Professions , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!