Big Data Expert/Architect (Principal)
Posted on: August 6, 2022
We are Vericast. We create meaningful connections between business
and the people that they serve-how, when and where it matters. By
pushing the boundaries of data and insights, we spark discovery and
inspire action to create profitable results. Valassis, the digital
division of Vericast, is a leader in the marketing technology
space, processing over 12 trillion calculations and analyzing more
than 40 billion digital marketing opportunities daily. We influence
the purchasing and transaction behavior of more than 120 million
households - impacting where they eat, shop, buy, save and
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer to develop services,
tools, bots, and workflows for our big data processing
infrastructure. The Big Data Platform Team owns and operates the
world-class big data processing infrastructure that over a dozen
engineering teams use to power their 24/7 technical marketing
products. We own and operate a large hadoop+spark processing cloud
on which we store 6PB of data, and run 30 thousand jobs every day.
We write a fabric of java microservices and bots to manage all
those jobs, extend hadoop's functionality, and help us operate and
optimize our investment. We write custom data streaming services
that ingest and curate 100TB of data each day that drives the
entire advertising data ecosystem. We also participate in all our
users' groundbreaking workflow projects so that we can constantly
stay abreast of our developer's tooling needs.
What You're Like
This position is perfect for a visionary engineer who always wants
to be the first to apply cutting-edge technologies to solve complex
business and engineering problems. You want to have a leading voice
on our team and across our organization. You will work throughout
the software lifecycle including customer interaction and product
planning, requirements analysis, architecture, directing our team
of developers, development, testing and operations. If you are
energized by the thought of developing new system stacks and tools
for big data processing and analytics we want to talk to you. If
you have worked on big data engineering, cloud migration, or
infrastructure tooling projects, we want to talk to you. If you
have ever worked on a collection of data workflows or a service
mesh and thought 'I could make this better', we want to talk to
What You'll Do
- Work with our users, architects, and product leaders to
architect and plan our data platforms.
- Design, develop, and maintain the software and systems that
make up the data platform that runs our entire business.
- Partner with the Data Engineering and Data Science teams who
use our platform to diagnose, predict and address scaling
- Work on new products initiatives to provide design support and
establish best practices.
- Contribute to our team's growing set of development platforms,
tools, processes, and products.
- Experience working on big data systems and technologies with
emphasis on the Hadoop platform.
- General knowledge of design patterns & UML with a few years of
taking a lead on architectural design and development.
- Proficiency in Java, Scala, or Python programming; exposure to
microservices and Spark dataframe programming.
- Proficiency in networking, Thrift, Spring Framework and/or
Spring Boot for microservices is a plus.
- Understand RDMS and proficiency in DML, SQL & PL/SQL a
- Hands on experience with Spark; exposure to Kafka and YARN or
- Experience with migration of infrastructure from on-prem to
cloud or vice versa is a big advantage.
- Curiosity to learn and apply new technologies and a background
full of diverse design challenges.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent verbal, graphical, and written communication
- Experience with agile development methodologies.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or other technical discipline (with
significant computer coursework).
- 10+ recent years of professional software development
experience using java, scala, or python.
- 3+ recent years working with the hadoop+spark big data platform
Vericast offers a generous total rewards benefits package that
includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401K matching and
flexible PTO. A wide variety of additional benefits like life
insurance, employee assistance and pet insurance are also
available, not to mention smart and friendly coworkers!
At Vericast, we don't just accept differences - we celebrate them,
we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our
employees, our clients, and our community. As an Equal Opportunity
employer, Vericast considers applicants for all positions without
regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age,
disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other
classifications protected by law. Applicants who have disabilities
may request that accommodations be made in order to complete the
selection process by contacting our Talent Acquisition team at
Keywords: Vericast, Austin , Big Data Expert/Architect (Principal), Other , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!