Sewing/ Alteration Specialist
Company: Travis Association for the Blind/Austin Lighthouse
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Job DescriptionABOUT TAB:Travis Association for the Blind/Austin
Lighthouse (TAB) a non-profit organization, was founded in 1934 by
Dr. Henry L. Hilgartner and other civic-minded citizens of Austin
to provide a setting where blind men and women could come to learn
skills and create products that were sold door to door.Today,
Travis Association for the Blind stays true to the mission
established in 1934 by providing opportunities for economic and
personal independence for people who are blind, visually impaired,
or deaf blind by creating, sustaining, and improving employment. We
continue to grow and expand the services we provide to blind
Texans.Our Core Values guide us in everything we do: LIGHT:
Leadership, Integrity, Growth & Innovation, Heart, and Teamwork.
TAB offers a variety of benefits to include: 403(b) retirement
plan; health insurance; dental insurance; vision insurance;
employee assistance program; life insurance; paid time off; paid
holidays; employee appreciation events; and
- Operates power sewing machines to sew, alter or repair wearing
apparel, backpacks and other fabric articles.
- Alters article according to alteration ticket, fitter's pins,
chalk marks, or verbal instructions.
- Locates defects, and repairs article, including ripping of
seams and matching sizes and colors of replacement parts.
- May operate automatic sewing machines, utilizing knowledge of
threading machines, winding bobbins, adjusting tension, and oiling
- Work is reviewed for accuracy, neatness, and to determine if
instructions have been followed.
- Inspect apparel, backpacks and other articles to determine
where repairs are need and re-inspect finished article to determine
if repairs are complete and meet the standards. (Indirect)
- Inserts or eliminates padding in shoulders, and tapers seams
without distorting the product and proportions of the garment.
- Resews garment, using needle and thread or sewing machine.
- Repairs or replaces defective garment parts such as snaps,
zippers, buttons, buckles, pockets, pocket flaps and coat linings.
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies, equipment and working
- May supervise activities of sewing machine operator or other
- Complies with and assists other employees understand and comply
with TAB's Safety and Security policies and guidelines.
- Behaves in accordance with the key behaviors aligned with TAB's
Core Values of Leadership, Integrity, Growth & Innovation, Heart
and Teamwork (LIGHT).
- Other duties as assignedThe above description reflects the
details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of
the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of
all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality
control and techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and
distribution of goods.
- Monitoring the performance of yourself to make improvements or
take corrective action
- The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your
arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a
machine to exact positions.
- The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with
your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- The ability to time your movements or the movement of a piece
of equipment in anticipation of changes in the speed and/or
direction of a moving object or scene.
- The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the
fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very
- Able to read, comprehend and understand information and ideas
presented in writing or in alternative form
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Demonstrates sound work ethics
- Possesses cultural awareness and sensitivity Supervisory
- NoneCommunication & Contacts Required
- Employees, departments, & managersDecision Making/Judgment
- Makes decisions as per Standard Operation Procedures and
Company PoliciesMinimum Education and Experience
- Highschool diploma or equivalentPhysical Requirements With or
without reasonable accommodation, employees in this position must
be able to:
- The ability to sit for 7-8 hours a day
- The ability to lift 20lbs items/products repeatedly
- Prolonged periods of working on a sewing machine
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, adjust position for 20% of
- Ability to work in conditions with varying temperature,
including cold and/or heat
- Ability to focus on small stiches/sewing for 6-8 hours a
- Background Check and Drug Screen required
- Confirmation of COVID-19 Vaccination Status (or approve
- Internal and external applicants accepted
- Verifiable documentation of ability to work in the USBlind and
visually impaired individuals are encouraged to applyTRAVIS
ASSOCIATION FOR THE BLIND, A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, IS AN EQUAL
OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERTAB provides equal
employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability
status, protected veteran status, genetics or any other
characteristic protected by law. In addition to federal law
requirements, TAB complies with applicable state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in
which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms
and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring,
placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves
of absence, compensation, and training.EEO is the law. To review
your rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, please visit:
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: Travis Association for the Blind/Austin Lighthouse, Austin , Sewing/ Alteration Specialist, Other , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!