Scheduler, Interpreter Services (Hourly)
Company: Austin Community College
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that
serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students
each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a
community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote
student success and community development by providing affordable
access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher
education and workforce training, including appropriate applied
baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit
and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access
to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to
facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with
- Engages with the community both within and outside of
ACCCommitment to Equity and InclusionACC is committed to the
ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased
recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically
underserved and under represented populations. Through continual
strategic community engagement and professional development of
administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college
demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a
diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent
professors who help students achieve their educational goals and
are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic
backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a
Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's
faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship,
inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to
equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.Job
Posting Title:Scheduler, Interpreter Services (Hourly)Job
Description Summary:To schedule sign language interpretation and
Communication Access Real-time Transcription (CART) services for
students, faculty, staff, and guests of the college who are deaf or
hard of hearing.Job Description:Description of Duties and
TasksEssential duties and responsibilities include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Schedules on-going needs for sign language interpreters for
students, faculty, and staff. This includes consulting with
supervisor to determine the highest priority and best use of staff
and hourly employees.
- Coordinates with CART vendor(s) to provide onsite and remote
- Addresses ad hoc requests from students, staff, faculty, and
the community for services and schedules those services for
programs and events.
- Schedules last minute and substitution requests for
interpreting and CART services.
- Monitors rotation of assignments among interpreters.
- Maintains scheduling and informational databases including
information regarding special requests of users for interpreting or
- Arranges interpreter services for special media needs as
- Be a resource to Austin Community College students, faculty,
and staff for questions and assistance regarding CART and
- May need to work evenings and/or weekends.KnowledgeMust possess
required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or
without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of
the job can be performed.
- Customer service techniques.
- Scheduling people and/or services.
- Principles and practices associated with
Servant-Leadership.SkillsMust possess required skills and be able
to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable
accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be
- Critical thinking skills to resolve problems and arrive at
workable solutions for a variety of situations.
- Effective team building skills and a strong
customer-orientation when working with diverse populations of
students, faculty, staff, administrations, and the community.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, problem-solving,
and interpersonal skills including use of tact and discretion and
the ability to meet deadlines.
- Reliability to maintain an established and flexible work
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student information and
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven office
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and
presentation software.Required Work Experience
- One year related work experience.Required Education
- Associate degree.Other Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of American Sign Language, interpreting, and/or Deaf
- Understanding of interpreting and transliterating services
provided in educational environment including but not limited to
classrooms, meetings, student registration, testing, tutoring, and
- Experience in working with assignments of Interpreter Services
specifically in an academic environment.
- Experience in working with multiple databases including a
manual Excel process.
- Experience in scheduling a large volume of people in multiple
- A minimum certification: Texas Board of Evaluation of
Interpreters (BEI) III, BEI Intermediary, or Registry of
Interpreters for the Deaf National Interpreter Certification (RID
NIC or CDI).Physical Requirements
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching,
pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.Safety
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working
conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to
prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
- up to 30 pounds. Pay Rate$15.60/HourNumber of Openings:1Job
Posting Close Date:May 23, 2022ACC Benefits OverviewFull-time
faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or
part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical
benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days
of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance,
short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security.ACC participates in the
Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional
Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time
and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan
(ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.EEO
StatementThe Austin Community College District is an Equal
Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status,
political affiliation or other protected categories.Clery ActAs
required by the US Department of Education, employees are required
to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery
Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act
(Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If
this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery
Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for
reporting.DisclaimerThe above description is an overview of the
job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and
responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an
all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the
job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs.
ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of
this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees
may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or
assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC
as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
Keywords: Austin Community College, Austin , Scheduler, Interpreter Services (Hourly), Other , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!