Systems Engineer Senior
Posted on: July 18, 2021
Leidos has a current opening in Austin Information Technology
Center (AITC) for a ‘Systems Engineer, Senior’ supporting the U.S.
Veterans Affairs Enterprise Program Management Division (EPMD)
initiatives of the Veteran's Administration (VA) Office of
Information Technology (OIT). This is an advanced opportunity
to use your Systems Engineering knowledge and skills to support the
(EPMD) and IOSS initiatives.
A Senior Systems Engineer provides technical support in system
architecture, system design, system integration and technical
management. Assists in providing technical input to the systems
engineering process. Leads teams in developing application and
technical plans. Guide customers in the installation and use of
strategic products through education and guidance, first-use and
tuning assistance problem solving and critical situation
Enterprise Program Management Division (EPMD) Senior System
Engineer will provide support for hosted enterprise applications
for multiple programs supporting the VA. This Engineer is
responsible for ensuring the reliability, flexibility, and
cost-effectiveness of our operations and development
infrastructures. They will work with the other engineering leads to
improve, grow and expand existing systems.
The primary focus of the Senior Systems Engineer will be on
Dev/Ops, and at the same time, improving and expanding the VA’s
development systems and environments to use Continuous Integration
and Deployment, resulting in improved product quality, and
Other responsibilities will include: the maintenance of existing
systems and identifying any opportunities for improvements which
may also include automation, monitoring, logging, and profiling
projects. The process for identifying new opportunities for
improvements shall include defining their implementation plans; and
acting as the lead toward their completion to possibly replace and
stand up new systems when needed.
The ideal candidate should be prepared to communicate the
utilization of development tools to sustain and improve
systems. Additionally, the candidate must have extensive
experience in Test-driven development and possesses a strong
development background. The candidate will be an DevOps Engineer
skilled in scripting, configuration management, and infrastructure
automation. In this role, the candidate will work collaboratively
with cross-organizational VA teams to deploy and automate
infrastructure and application systems. Additionally, candidates
will automate and streamline processes; build and maintain
operational tools; and troubleshoot and resolve issues in
development, test and production environments.
Necessary skills include Dev/Ops enterprise infrastructure
engineering; solutions architecture; software and systems
development; quality assurance; configuration and release
management; IT security awareness; and process engineering services
for the infrastructure, as well as the applications within the VA
- Assist teams in the evaluation of existing applications and
mapping to the most appropriate models
- Determine appropriate scenarios for effective use of
- Collaboratively work with other technical teams to provide
guidance and ensure systems and solutions are scalable and
- Develop applications in support of application readiness,
onboarding and application transformation.
- Building infrastructure automation using scripts, runbooks, and
- Provide subject-matter expertise in the evaluation of system
requirements, architectures, models, designs, and
- Evaluate current systems for various components to include
requirements, architecture, design, modeling, planning, and release
and deployment artifacts.
- Participate in the development of action plans to remedy
findings from assessments.
- Remediate findings and, when required, provide solutions to
- Work closely with Architects to sync on VA enterprise
initiatives and communicate needs of the agency for new
- Ensure compliance with applicable cyber requirements and other
government policies and directives.
- Utilize engineering and integration of tools and software for
use in operating environments.
- Resolve problems reported or discovered; include root cause
analysis and reporting.
- Design and document the automation and associated designs by
analyzing requirements; constructing workflow charts and diagrams;
studying system capabilities; and writing specifications.
- Provide enhancements or improvements to systems by studying
current workflows and designs and determining inefficiencies.
- Prepare technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and
summarizing information and trends.
- Support configuration management, quality assurance, and
cybersecurity throughout the release cycle in an Agile
- Assist the IT Service Desk when needed to troubleshoot and
quickly resolve issues for end users.
- Collaborate with others in influencing the modernization
- Publish and present architectural changes to peers and
- Minimum of a Masters degree computer science, electronics
engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is
required and 10 years experience.
- An additional 10 years of work experience or (20 years total)
can be considered in lieu of a Masters degree.
- Must be US Citizen with ability to obtain public trust
- Position requires a technical background in one or more areas:
Operations (Systems, Database or Network Administration) or
- Project Management Skills.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering,
and science solutions and services leader working to solve the
world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland
security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 31,000 employees
support vital missions for government and commercial customers.
Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues
of approximately $10.17 billion for the fiscal year ended December
29, 2017. (NYSE: LDOS) All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability or veteran status.
External Referral Bonus:
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Keywords: Leidos, Austin , Systems Engineer Senior, Other , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!