How you will contribute to our Purpose:
The Y's purpose is to strengthen community. Every day, we work
side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless
of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow,
and thrive. There are lots of places to work, but few opportunities
to do work that really matters. Not only will you have the chance
to help youth, and adults of all ages reach their potential, you'll
be making a huge difference in your community as well.
As a Youth Development Leader, you will make a difference in the
lives of youth throughout central Texas. You will provide
enriching, safe, and memorable experiences to thousands of campers.
You will help campers gain a sense of achievement, build
relationships, and find their sense of belonging. You will
supervise a group of campers at the Camp Moody location, in Buda
Texas. This is a part-time role based out of the Extend-A-Care YMCA
branch that will start in May 2021.
Our recruitment and hiring target dates*
- Application review: March 4th - May 15th *
- Interviews: March 22nd - May 15th *
- Onboarding & hiring: April 19th - May 15th *
- Training: May 17th - May 28th *
- First day of Summer Camp: June 1st & June 7th *
- Please be aware that all dates are tentative, and can change
due to student enrollment and our program needs.
- Free individual membership to all YMCA's of Austin (over
- Flexible schedules
- Career advancement opportunities
- Employee discounts on programs and more
- Voluntary 403b Retirement Savings Account
What are the details?
As a special Outdoor Youth Development Leader for our summer day
camp at Camp Moody, you will play a critical role in leading
outdoor camper activities such as, canoeing, archery, rock wall,
enrichment activities (STEAM, CATCH, outdoor education, leadership
development, service-learning), supervision & facilitation of field
trips and designated swim times. Responsibilities include
supervision of campers, implementation of daily and weekly
activities, and communication with parents.
- You build a positive relationship with each camper; actively
engage with children at all times to foster the positive
development of each child and the group
- You enjoy the outdoors and sharing that with youth
- Facilitate water activities, such as canoeing, swimming,
- Take campers on daily hikes throughout the Camp Moody property
(May include moving equipment up to 10lbs)
- You adhere to policies and procedures in a pro-active manner,
making the safety and care of children your primary focus.
- You inspect camp facilities daily to ensure supplies are ready
and the learning environment is safe. (This includes setting up and
taking down program equipment up to 20lbs).
- You actively participate in all aspects of staff development,
including team meetings, pre-service training, and at least an
additional 15 hours of training during the year.
- You complete other duties as assigned.
What you bring to the Purpose:
- Availability: You can work Monday through Friday, between the
hours of 7:00 am - 1:00 pm and/or 12:00 pm- 6:00 pm. You have the
ability to start onboarding and training in between April-May
- Education and Experience: High School graduate or GED
equivalent. Minimum age of 18 years.
- Teamwork: You are a team player with a positive,
service-oriented attitude; you work well with others and can
establish productive and professional relationships with colleagues
- Commitment: You commit yourself to consistently bringing fun,
to youth in the outdoors. You understand the importance of routine
with children and commit to consistently fulfill your scheduling
Pay Rate: $11.00
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure
that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is
not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional
functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed
The YMCA of Austin provides equal employment opportunities (EEO)
to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin,
age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered
veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local
laws. YMCA of Austin complies with applicable state and local laws
governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in
which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and
conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring,
placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves
of absence, compensation, and training.