Grocery Manager (H)
Company: Fiesta Mart
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Grocery Manager in each store is responsible for the overall
operation of the grocery department and for continuously evaluating
the department to maximize its contribution to the store's overall
success. In that capacity, the Grocery Manager will supervise the
employees of the grocery department and ensure that employees are
properly trained and productive.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Review advertised sale items each week and verifies the work of
the scan coordinator to ensure that advertised prices are correct
in store's pricing system and on the shelf tags. Consult with other
managers to ensure scan coordinator is performing duties
efficiently and accurately in each department; consult with
front-end to ensure that bad scans are corrected.
- Review invoices of product received into the grocery department
by the backdoor receiver, and ensure proper receipt procedures were
followed; ensure proper accounting, matching invoices against
Purchase Log and make necessary corrections; follow established
procedure for submitting invoices for timely payment.
- Observe department areas for evidence of shrink, including
spoilage, damage, poor inventory control, and theft; inform and
coach employees as to procedures to reduce shrink; ensure
compliance with company policies, including policies related to
security and safety, company dress/grooming standards, and health
- Participate in periodic budgeting and forecasting; manage
department in such a way as to ensure financial goals are achieved;
obtain and analyse results as they are available; know and
understand key financial and operational success indicators; adjust
department activities and processes.
- Establish, communicate, and post a sanitation schedule and
ensure that all sanitation procedures are being performed when
required and at other times when necessary.
- Assign responsibility for ordering supplies and monitor to
ensure proper levels and proper control; facilitate product
transfers between departments or between stores from time to time;
responsible for department's readiness for inventory each quarter;
direct and assign necessary duties to prepare for inventory.
- Execute the quarterly department action plans; develop and
implement additional action plans or promotional events that will
maximize sales to ensure merchandising goals are achieved; prepare
and implement department plans for effective space management,
product allocation, and cross merchandising; ensure that product is
properly rotated and that expired products are pulled from display;
assess product needs based on movement, specials, promotions, and
trends; determine amount of inventory needed to meet needs and
ensure that supply orders are made and submitted on time.
- Maintain strict key control and prevent under-age employees and
other not properly trained or certified from unauthorized use of
dangerous equipment in the department areas.
- Prepare employee schedules each week based on projected sales,
labor budget, and anticipated activity; monitor labor budget daily
and adjust schedule as needed.
- Interview candidates; assess and recommend candidates for hire;
ensure that new employees complete orientation; perform on the job
training to ensure expectations are met, coach and train so that
work is performed safely and efficiently; make work assignments for
employees, including stocking lists for stockers, and follow-up to
ensure completion; ensure that efficiency procedures are being
followed consistently; meet with employees in the grocery
department on a regular basis to communicate department or company
news and topics that will enhance employees' performance; discuss
any deficiencies discovered and counsel employees if necessary
following company guidelines for disciplinary action.
- Train employees on equipment usage and ensure that each
employee has current licenses or certifications on equipment they
will be using. Keep the Store Manager and/or key staff members
informed of any unusual or unauthorized activity in and around the
store; investigate any personnel situations or policy violations
that may have an adverse effect on department operating performance
or any situations that may require disciplinary action; dispense
and/or make recommendations as to appropriate disciplinary action
according to company disciplinary policies; consult with Store
Manager when appropriate.
- Identify lead stockers, especially for the night crew; train
lead stockers in the skills and knowledge necessary to supervise
the crew; regularly monitor supervision practices to ensure actions
and behaviors are appropriate; coach as necessary.
- Evaluate performance of staff periodically and coach and
counsel as necessary to recommend personnel actions such as
retention, promotion, pay increase, transfer, reward or dismissal
of employees. Communicate productivity and performance levels
expected of each employee, and monitor work of each employee to
ensure that expectations are being met; coach and train so that
work is performed safely and efficiently. Discuss shrink and other
topics that will enhance their performance and ensure compliance
with company policies.
- Work to develop and maintain a friendly atmosphere and good
morale in the department; by giving feedback and recognition to
employees on a regular basis, by resolving disputes and/or issues
between employees, and by addressing employees' questions and
Secondary Job Duties:
- Verify price checks for customers as needed.
- Ensure all product labels, signs and prices are aligned with
- Ensure department associates adhere to company dress code
standard (i.e. name tags, personal hygiene, etc.)
- Present a favorable impression in dress, personal hygiene and
- Notify management of associate theft, customer shoplifting,
unauthorized mark downs or property defacement.
- Clean walls, fans and drains in grocery coolers, display cases
and work area.
- Other duties assigned by management.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three to five years' experience in a grocery department
preferably in a managerial role.
- Fluency in English language, Spanish skills are extremely
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills for
dealing with customers, employees and vendors.
- Above average analytical skills necessary to study and
interpret various reports to keep the department profitable.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
Never- 0%, Occasionally- 1-33%, Frequently- 34-66%,
- Occasionally-Sitting, pulling up to 300 lbs., climbing up to 8
foot height, and smelling.
- Frequently- walking on tile/concrete, carrying up to 50 lbs.,
pushing up to 300 lbs., lifting up to 50 lbs., bending, balancing,
stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, talking, and manual
- Continuously-standing on tile/concrete, reaching waist/overhead
level, seeing, and hearing.
Safety Risk Factors:
- Occasionally-Loud noise, slippery or cluttered floor surface,
contact with sharp objects, contact with skin irritants, toxic
exposure (see Material Safety Data Sheets), nuisance dust, fumes,
sprays, and hazardous cleaning solutions.
- Frequently-Twisting of back and neck and hazardous equipment
(mechanical moving parts).
- Varied, irregular schedules.
- Working environment involves inside, outside, cold, heat, and
Keywords: Fiesta Mart, Austin , Grocery Manager (H), Other , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!