Deputy General Counsel
Company: Citizens, Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
We are seeking a Deputy General Counsel to join our Legal team.
The Citizens Legal team provides guidance and support of both the
public company function - 1933 and 1934 Act securities filings and
compliance with NYSE listing standards, corporate governance and
related corporate compliance - and the insurance business support
of new business / marketing, underwriting, claims, actuarial,
reinsurance, and insurance compliance. Our ideal candidate has
prior insurance experience (life insurance preferable), is
flexible, highly organized, detail-oriented, and is capable of
handling sensitive information with care. This job is performed in
Austin, TX at our headquarters, located in the beautiful Domain.
The Deputy General Counsel reports directly to the Vice President
and Chief Legal Officer (CLO).
Essential Job Duties:
- With the CLO and financial team, prepare and review reports
filed with the SEC under the Securities Act of 1933 and the
Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including disclosures on Forms
10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, Section 16 reporting and annual proxy
- Advise business units with respect to life insurance business
- Assist with corporate governance, including preparation of
Board materials, minutes, subsidiary governance..
- Work with CLO to ensure proper corporate policies and
procedures are in place; draft and review amendments to governance
documents, corporate policies and procedures, and Board committee
- Compliance with regulatory aspects of the Company's operations
(including filings with state insurance regulators), state and
federal securities laws and integration of all disclosure
- Assist with implementing enhancements to elements of the ethics
and compliance program.
- Advise and counsel on general corporate matters including:
employment and compensation matters, corporate subsidiaries, vendor
agreements, real estate, litigation, and commercial matters.
- Support corporate and strategic transactions, including mergers
- Respond promptly to requests from internal clients, and
summarize and communicate legal risks in a way that business people
can understand that pragmatically balances risk with our business
- Provide leadership on cross-functional teams, identify legal
issues, and provide legal options / analysis of possible legal
- Other legal aspects of a publicly-traded insurance
- Any other duties or projects as assigned.
- J.D., licensed in Texas.
- 5-10 years' experience as a corporate attorney (either in a
large law firm or a combination of a large law firm and in-house
experience) with substantial experience working on SEC reporting,
NYSE regulations, Delaware corporate law, M&A and corporate
governance/compliance matters or life insurance company
- Licensed in Colorado.
- Insurance company experience.
- SEC - 1934 Act experience; familiarity with NYSE listing
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Broad and deep experience in securities/corporate governance
issues or life insurance operations.
- Sound business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Flexibility and interest in working on a broad variety of legal
matters in order to understand and advise the company on legal
implications of its business strategy.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually,
within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal & written and
Ability to work Monday-Friday, 8AM - 5PM with occasional
- Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a
general office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is generally low.
- We are a dynamic, demanding environment.
- Requiring exceptional time management skills and prioritization
in managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to read and interpret data as well as effectively
communicating (orally and in writing) with both company and outside
The physical requirements described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
Ability to reach high and low; open, close and retrieve files
from file cabinets as well as operate computer keyboard and
appropriate office equipment. The position requires the ability to
frequently stand, walk, sit for long periods of time, lift up to 15
lbs., open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as
Keywords: Citizens, Inc., Austin , Deputy General Counsel, Other , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!