The Physical Therapist (PT) conducts assessments and
reassessments of rehabilitation needs and potential. The PT also
plans, implements, and supervises therapeutic programs which
include therapeutic exercises, gait training, range of motion
testing and exercise, maintenance therapies, heat treatments,
baths, and other activities normally performed by a physical
JOB DUTIES/ KNOWLEDGE:
- Conducts assessments and reassessments of the patient's level
of function by applying diagnostic and prognostic procedures.
- Plans, implements, and supervises an individualized therapeutic
program designed to restore physical function, improve range of
motion, strength, balance, coordination, endurance, or functional
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Rehab Director, or
designed professional, to ensure integration of the therapeutic
program in the plan of care.
- Guides and teaches the patient in techniques, exercises, or
precautions designed to improve range of motion, strength, balance,
coordination, endurance, or functional ability.
- Observes, records, and reports the patient's reaction to
treatment and any changes in the patient's condition or treatment.
Documents the extent of the patient's involvement in the decision
affecting his/her care.
- Instructs other agency personnel and patients family members in
activities of physical therapy in which they may safely and
effectively assist the patient.
- Participates in patient case conferences to coordinate the
patient's plan of care and promote positive therapeutic
- Participates in continuous assessment and evaluation of the
agency via Quarterly Record Review, or the quality Assurance/
- Supervises PTA treating evaluated patient and is available for
- Credentialed wound care Physical therapist participates in
wound care per agency policy and procedure.
Sight and hearing sufficient to comprehend written and verbal
communication, ability to work a minimum of eight (8) hours per day
while driving, standing, sitting, assisting patients movement,
writing, and speaking.
Demonstrates initiative and skills in planning and organizing
- Demonstrates a desire to set and meet objectives and to find
increasingly efficient ways to perform tasks.
- Completes work, care and documentation with accuracy within
agency time frames.
- Requires minimal supervision and is self-directed.
MISSION/ AGENCY STANDARDS:
Demonstrates organizational awareness and commitment
- Understands and appropriately applies the chain of command in
relation to job position and supervision.
- Knows and understands the agency mission in relation to own job
Observes confidentiality policy at all times
- Protects and honors customer and coworker confidentiality.
- Respects customers' and coworkers' right to privacy.
Observes attendance and attire polices
- Meets attendance and punctuality expectations.
- Demonstrates cooperation with requests to meet agency
- Consistently adheres to agency dress code.
Complies with all other related policies, procedures and
- Recommends and/ or supports changes to policies and
- Demonstrates knowledge of policies and procedures applicable to
own job positon.
- Adheres to policies and procedures. Honors requests of
management for interim rules.
Conserves agency resources
- Maintains agency property, supplies and equipment in a manner
that demonstrates ownership and accountability.
- Maintains the work area to reduce the likelihood for safety
hazards and to enhance its general appearance.
Demonstrates interpersonal understanding and utilizes effective
- Considers effects of words and actions on others.
- Utilizes listening skills that indicate understanding and
promote accurate interpretation of others' concerns, motivations
- Recognizes the influence of beliefs and cultures on behaviors
and accepts strengths and limitations in others.
- Works toward resolution of interpersonal conflicts as they
- Recognizes when others are in need of information, assistance
or direction and consistently offers and provides help.
- Attends and participates positively in meetings.
- Regularly reads and appropriately applies information to
- Uses words that express respect, patience and understanding in
interactions with others.
- Acknowledges other verbally and nonverbal (eye contact,
expression, tone of voice) promptly and courteously.
- Follows appropriate phone etiquette.
Exhibits behaviors of cooperation
- Develops cooperation and collaborative work efforts that in
general benefits all involved parties.
- Demonstrates the initiative to meet the needs of the agency by
assisting coworkers when load permits.
PERSONAL/ PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
Continuing education and personal/ professional development
- Maintains personal health status requirement in relation to job
- Maintains professional licensure/ certification (if
- Maintains current personnel file information and provides
information to agency in timely manner.
- Sets own development challenges and volunteers to learn.
- Assists with orientation of new personnel.
- Adheres to agency infection control and safety polices,
including education, reporting, and practice implementation
specific to job position.
- Attends agency provided in-service programs to fulfill
requirements of position and agency polices.
Exhibits adaptability, flexibility, self-control and maturity in
work and behavior
- Maintains stable performance and emotions when faced with
opposition, pressure and/ or stressful conditions.
- Develops work relationships that honor and respect others'
strengths and abilities.
- Recognizes codependency issues in care giving roles and
exercises caution in relationship to maintain objectivity.
Service Excellence 50% of yearly evaluation
- Shows courtesy, compassion and respect.
- Communicates with all individuals appropriately, while
- Contributes to teamwork, and harmonious working
- Supports and demonstrates continuous improvement of quality and
- Shares ideas and suggestions.
- Participates in projects.
- Participates in problem solving.
- Reports problems, unusual events appropriately.
- Demonstrates behavior that promotes professionalism and
- Participates in educational programs/ seminars.
- Promotes cost consciousness.
- Displays professional appearance.
- Promotes professional environment, including emphasis on
cleanliness and safety.
Exhibit critical thinking abilities and applies them for
continuous improvement of services and the agency
- Uses own knowledge and experience base and other resources as
necessary to make logical decisions and solve problems.
- Continuously analyze work process and makes suggestions for
- Graduate of a curriculum in Physical Therapy
accredited/approved by the American Physical Therapy Association,
or the Committee on allied health Education of the American Medical
Association, or the Council on Medical Education of the American
Physical Therapy Association awarding a Bachelor's degree or
- Current licensed by the state of Texas to practice as a
- Two years appropriate experience as a Physical Therapist
required. One year experience in a home health setting
DEGRESS OF TRAVEL:
Home visits and/or hourly patient care daily. Periodic office
Must have reliable transportation and agency-required liability
DEGRESS OF DISRUPTION TO ROUTINE, OVERTIME:
Must be able to adapt to client status and needs as directed.
Schedule changes daily due to staffing, client condition and needs,
new clients, etc.
SAFETY HAZARDS IN JOB:
Possible infections from clients, auto accident, unsafe