Job Description - THECB - Program Director, ERC (00011359)
THECB - Program Director, ERC ( 00011359 ) Organization : TEXAS
HIGHER EDUCATION COORDINATING BOARD
Primary Location : Texas-Austin Work Locations : TX Hghr Edu
Coordinating Board 1200 East Anderson Ln Austin 78752
Job : Office and Administrative Support
Employee Status : Regular
Schedule State Job Code : 781U
Salary Admin Plan : N/A
Grade : 00
Salary (Pay Basis) : 4,627.00 - 6,194.00 ( Monthly )
Number of Openings : 1
Overtime Status : Non-exempt
Job Posting : Sep 10, 2020, 9:09:48 PM
Closing Date : Oct 2, 2020, 4:59:00 AM
NOTES TO THE APPLICANT: Your job application must be completely
filled out. Your application must contain dates of employment, job
titles, name of employer and a description of duties performed in a
way that demonstrates you meet the minimum qualifications for the
position for which you are applying. Resumes do not take the place
of the requirement to include this information on the application.
If this information is not submitted, your application may be
rejected because it is incomplete.
General Description: Performs data systems management for the
Educational Data Center (EDC) of the Texas Higher Education
Coordinating Board (THECB). This position will act as the database
manager of the Education Research Center (ERC) P-20/Workforce Data
Repository. This position will also assist with modernization
efforts related to Coordinating Board Management (CBM) reporting.
This includes familiarization with the business rules that ensure
high levels of data accuracy and internal consistency in the CBM
data reported by institutions of higher education. The work
involves coordinating directly with the Assistant Commissioner,
Strategic Planning, and with staff from the Information Solutions
and Services division, as well as with the ERC Directors, ERC
Advisory Board members, and other stakeholders. Works under minimal
supervision with latitude for the use of initiative and independent
judgment. This position reports to the Assistant Director,
Educational Data Center.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs specialized and complex technical and analytical
tasks with emphasis on database management and support.
• Manages a large SAS database repository that includes large
quantities of data from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating
Board (THECB), Texas Education Agency (TEA), Texas Workforce
Commission (TWC) and other organizations.
• Assists in the coordination of CBM data reporting and performs
testing and quality assurance tasks using Microsoft SQL Server
• Communicates effectively with internal and external
stakeholders on data management and data quality issues using
appropriate levels of technical detail depending on the
• Assists in drafting memorandums related to CBM reporting and
maintains and updates user guides used by institutional reporting
officials for submitting data to the THECB.
• Modifies SAS data sets to assure data de-identification,
verifies and monitors the ERC data process to assure compliance
with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and
other applicable federal and state privacy statutes and ensures
security regarding the deidentification of data.
• Maintains the P-20/Workforce Data Repository and maintains
master records of all datasets contained in the Repository.
Maintains the data for the ERCs, agency use, and other agency
authorized analysis by external researchers onsite at the agency.
Manages and systematizes de-identified data and maintains custom
data libraries for each research project conducted onsite at the
agency by authorized researchers.
• Works closely with Data Reporting staff within THECB, TEA,
TWC, and higher education institutions, as applicable, to assure
appropriate quality and consistent use of THECB and other
educational data in ERC and THECB databases.
• Assists in the collection, interpretation, aggregation,
evaluation, and reporting of a variety of statistical data for
• Responds to and routes customer requests and provides customer
support related to ERC and CBM data.
• Attends training and/or uses online training facilities to
acquire additional knowledge and skills.
• Assists staff within the division of Data Resources and
Analytics with special projects.
• Takes initiative on projects and completes them successfully
without close supervision.
• Establishes and maintains effective work relationships
internal and external to the Coordinating Board regarding access to
and use of THECB and other educational data in the ERC and THECB
• Work is performed with latitude for decision making in
carrying out various components of the position.
• Performs related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of relevant privacy protection statutes, procedures,
and resources for protecting individual or student record data.
• Knowledge of procedures for managing, governing, and
documenting complex data systems for data users.
• Knowledge of database table structures and design.
• Skill in using SAS at an advanced level. This should include
an understanding of best practices for SAS programmers, the ability
to understand and debug SAS macros, and experience reading and
understanding SAS programs written in a variety of programming
• Skills using PC word processing, spreadsheet, database, and
business intelligence software.
• Ability to take charge of assigned projects and to carry
projects to completion with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work with a large volume of data where accuracy is
• Ability to plan, organize, maintain, implement, and manage
complex data systems.
• Ability to interpret statistical data, charts, and tables.
• Ability to write and prepare concise data, technical,
procedural, and policy documentation and manuals.
• Ability to train others.
• Ability to adapt to change.
• Ability to accept and follow instructions given in a variety
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral forms
with a variety of internal and external audiences.
• Ability to adhere to the agency’s internal management policies
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships both internally and externally.
Required Minimum Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
with major coursework in education, statistical analysis, research
and design methods, psychometrics, business or public
administration, psychology, sociology, economics, or computer
• Three years of progressively responsible experience in
compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data using a statistical
software package such as SAS, STATA, R, or SQL.
o Three years of experience using PC software including
Microsoft (MS) Outlook, Word, and Excel.
• A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may
substitute for one year of the required experience in compiling,
analyzing, and interpreting statistical data.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with
major coursework in computer science, data collection or
compilation, statistical analysis, research and design methods,
data analytics, database management, education, higher education,
business, or public administration.
• Three years of experience using the Statistical Analysis
Systems (SAS) statistical analysis software package.
• Experience and proficiency with SAS programming and analysis
with large-scale K-12, higher education, or workforce
• Experience and proficiency with SQL programming and
• Experience with large-scale education or workforce
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment and
• Regular, reliable, and punctual attendance at work;
• Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and
• Frequent sitting;
• Frequently works under deadlines, as a team member, and in
direct contact with others.
Must be able to:
• Demonstrate knowledge of customer service deliverables.
• Show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in
assignments and work schedules; working extended hours as
• Adhere to the organization’s internal management policies and
• Contribute to the agency’s performance measures and
• Travel occasionally for work assignments and training.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board participates in
E-Verify for each new employees’ Form I-9 to confirm work
authorization. For questions please call the HR Department at
512-427-6190. For vocal and/or hearing assistance call 7-1-1.
Notes to Applicant:
If you require any reasonable accommodation for the interview
process, please inform the hiring representative who calls to
schedule your interview. This position has been designated as a
security sensitive position. A criminal background investigation
will be conducted on the final candidate for this position.
Veterans Information: THECB is committed to hiring Veterans. To
receive Veteran’s Preference, a copy of the FORM DD214 -member #4,
must be attached when submitting your application.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: THECB does not
discriminate on the basis, of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, or disability in employment or the provision of
Job offer and continuation of employment with THECB is
• Proof of education and experience listed on the
• Eligibility/authorization to work in the U.S.
• Satisfactory results from a pre-employment criminal history
• Compliance with the Selective Service Law for males ages
18-25. Please be advised that under Texas law, names and other
information concerning applicants or nominees may be subject to
disclosure upon request.
THECB does not allow dual employment with other state of Texas
agencies or institutions.
Skills assessment may be conducted at time of interview.