Design Director for Mobile
Posted on: September 13, 2019
Purpose of JobAt USAA, Design Directors manage and inspire their
team to craft experiences that help members and their families feel
financially secure. Design Directors cultivate an open and
collaborative design culture and lead by example. They apply
innovative approaches to address business, member, and employee
problems so their teams can create new solutions. They are masters
of their craft - ensuring the conceptual integrity and quality of
the designs created by their team is of the highest level for the
entire solution.Job Requirements
- Expertly applies human-centered design approaches to frame
problems and explore solutions that clearly define a vision of what
a product or service experience is, what it does, and how it looks
and works from the Member's perspective. -
- Leads a team to conceptualize, critique, execute, and validate
experience frameworks and interaction design models.
- Directs creation of current and desired experience models,
scenarios, storyboards, and flows. -
- Leads a creative team of direct report design
- Manages the team, makes hiring decisions, helps with individual
career and skills development, training recommendations, etc.
- Builds, mentors and inspires design teams while effectively
navigating complex enterprise organizations and processes.
- Defines and models the team culture, ensuring it aligns with
the USAA mission and core values; enables an environment where the
team can take pride in its work, be daring and push the envelope of
design, and continually grow their skills.
- Runs a creative review processes to ensure coherency with
design principles and guidelines keeping a hand in practical design
through contribution and collaboration with the team.
- Expected to do work across the company to build a strong
culture of design. -
- Expert understanding of current and emerging user experience,
user-centered design and design principles. Experience in building
and maintaining relationships with partner groups across the
company (CDO, legal, content, IT, innovation, marketing, channel,
- Bachelor's Degree or 4+ years of related Design
- 8 or more years of progressive, hands-on digital and experience
design related experience required.
- 3 or more years of direct design team lead or management
- Subject-matter-expert understanding of current and emerging
experience design principles, and human-centered design
methodologies, and demonstrated application of the knowledge,
skills and abilities of experience design practitioners.
- Subject-matter-expert level of business acumen in leading
cross-functional initiatives, partnering with business owners to
improve the quality of the member's/user's experience, design
industry practices and emerging trends in design.
- Link to Portfolio of UX/Design work demonstrating: The process
involved in shaping the design or project;
- Experience with multiple contexts and devices (mobile, tablet,
web/desktop, voice, wearable);
- Examples of gestural, voice, and hardware interfaces
- Direct experience with design/user research, interaction
design, information architecture, visual design, and
- Design of complex systems at scale;
- Effective use of storytelling techniques as a tool for
designing interactions.*Qualifications may warrant placement in a
different job level*When you apply for this position, you will be
required to answer some initial questions. - This will take
approximately 5 minutes. - Once you begin the questions you will
not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to
change your responses.Preferred:
- Direct experience crafting the overarching experience vision
and strategy for enterprise-wide portfolio of products and services
across channels, devices, and forms, and leading teams to
- Extensive experience with Interaction Design for mobile (native
and responsive); biased toward making to learn and
- Extensive experience with Human Centered Design methods to
gather insight and data to help inform and influence business
decisions and drive alignment. Working experience with Design
- Consistently leads and manages teams to deliver high quality
work impactful business results. Portfolio is a mix of strategic
and run the business efforts.
- Strong proponent of, and contributor to, Design Language
Systems; demonstrates depth of knowledge and experience with iOS
and Android standards; knowledgeable proponent of modern technology
(can hold their own having a tech convo with IT and business
- Working experience with product management practices to partner
- Working experience with SAFe/Agile and appropriate alignment of
design activities to portfolio, program, and team layersThe above
description reflects the details considered necessary to describe
the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a
detailed description of all the work requirements that may be
performed in the job.At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best
benefits package in the business, including a flexible business
casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental
and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs.
- Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education
will assist you with your professional goals.Relocation assistance
is available for this position.For Internal Candidates:Must
complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date
of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to
posting.Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is
07/29/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Keywords: USAA, Austin , Design Director for Mobile, IT / Software / Systems , Hutto, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!