Software Engineer, Edge, 3rd Eye (2) .1
Company: The Heil Co
Posted on: May 16, 2020
Environmental Solutions Group encompasses industry-leading
brands Heil Environmental, Marathon, Bayne, The Curotto-Can and
3rdEye One Vision to create a premier, fully integrated equipment
group serving the solid waste and recycling industry. Through
extensive voice-of-customer outreach, in-house engineering and
manufacturing capabilities, a wide-reaching service network, and
proven industry expertise, Environmental Solutions Group is focused
on solving customer problems through environmentally responsible
products and providing world-class support. For more information,
ESG is a Dover Corporation operating company. Dover s commitment to
operational and technical excellence makes it the world leader in
the Energy, Engineered Systems, Fluids, and Refrigeration & Food
Equipment markets. Dover is traded on the New York Stock Exchange
under DOV. Learn more at www.dovercorporation.com.
Operating Company: Environmental Solutions Group - 3rd Eye
Location: 3rd Eye Austin Headquarters, 13915 North Mopac #406,
Austin, TX 78728
Reports to: Senior Manager, Quality Assurance
Department: Software Engineering
3rd Eye is disrupting the traditional Fleet Safety Video Monitoring
and Telematics industries with leading high-quality media and
reliable digital delivery. Our services are engineered for high
availability, maximum reach, and cost savings for our customers.
Fleet managers can watch live streams or review safety events
instantly, from any device, to monitor their vehicle fleet. Our
technology is the cornerstone of our industry and our customers use
it to improve their fleet safety, operational, and maintenance
The Software Engineer will design, develop and maintain software
for our 3rd Eye products. You will collaborate with peers in
software engineering, software quality assurance, and project and
product management to define and develop software that meets
customer and system requirements. Following defined design
practices and the use of sound software engineering principles, you
will ensure that application software products are safe, robust,
and user friendly. This also involves identifying problems within
software, creating and implementing solutions to deal with them,
and keeping company technical architecture running as smoothly and
effectively as possible.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
* Architect and design software solutions according to customers'
* Build software solutions in a timely fashion.
* Coordinate and collaborate well with other team members.
* Design and build solutions in conjunction with predetermined
requirements analysis, but challenge and question potential gaps in
* Document key work, i.e. technical design, procedures and new
* Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their
productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and
* Bachelor's degree, or higher, in Computer Science, Electrical
Engineering, or a related field is required or equivalent
* 2-5 years of experience in embedded software or firmware
development across full product life cycles.
* Strong C programming skills.
* Strong Linux knowledge.
* Experience with Agile software development practices and
* Experience with large scale deployment of commercial software
* Experience with test driven development (TDD).
* Experience in startup environment and taking a project to market
* Proficient understanding of version control systems (git).
* Strong organizational and planning skills, mathematical
(statistical) skills, analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Comfort working under limited supervision and handling routine
matters on your own initiative.
The ideal candidate will possess expert-level knowledge in at least
one of the following four categories:
* Experience with the design and manufacturing of software for
Digital Camera, DVR, Monitors products.
* Knowledge of software video pipeline for the following products
Digital Video products:
* Experience with H.264 and H.265 Video Codec
* Experience Mp4 and TS muxers.
* Experience with Machine learning applied to video processing.
* Experience with Embedded system and multi-threaded software
* RTOS knowledge such as ThreadX and low-level micro controller
* Meets/exceeds 3rd Eye's leadership principles requirements for
* Meets/exceeds 3rd Eye's functional/technical depth and complexity
for this role.
* Telematic and Controller Area Network (CAN) knowledge
(J1939/OBD-II) is a plus.
* Hands-on experience with Agile and Scrum software development
* Experience with Jira and Confluence.
* Experience in hybrid Edge Linux development environment with AWS
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
Strong Business Acumen and Sound Judgment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ethics and Work Standards: Maintain the highest ethical and work
standards, while promoting the same attributes in co-workers and
others. Ensure that all business activities - with both internal
and external customers - to be performed with a professional
demeanor and that all participants be held accountable to this high
Communication: Expresses thoughts clearly, both orally and in
writing, using good grammar. Presents concise, well organized
reports in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Listens to
understand input, feedback and concerns. Provides complete
information in an open, honest and straightforward manner. Responds
promptly and positively to questions and requests.
Teamwork and Relationships: Works with other employees willingly
and in a spirit of cooperation and teamwork. Supports cooperation.
Demonstrates a commitment to the entire business and is supportive
of all initiatives (company and departmental) to help grow
Environmental Solutions Group business in the United States and
abroad. Cooperates fully with others to achieve organizational
goals. Is tactful, courteous, and considerate. Embraces a positive
outlook. Is respected and trusted by others.
Continual Improvement and Problem Resolution: Identifies and
communicates suggestions for work improvements. Uses technical and
analytical abilities to assure existing work practices are the most
efficient and cost effective possible. Performs root-cause analysis
and implements viable, permanent solutions to problems. Works with
both internal and external customers to develop solutions which
meet company-wide needs and objectives. Applies a sense of urgency
to resolve problems or creates opportunities that will increase
productivity and create value. Shares best practices with other
employees across the business.
Accountability: Accepts responsibility and accessibility for both
the strategic planning and the successful implementation of all
projects, programs, and duties as outlined in this job description.
Advises supervisor of concerns, problems and progress of work in a
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or any other
factors prohibited by law.
This position may be located in: Americas : United States : Texas :
Sub Division : 3RDEYE
Job Requisition ID : 32522.
Keywords: The Heil Co, Austin , Software Engineer, Edge, 3rd Eye (2) .1, IT / Software / Systems , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!