RN- Registered Nurse- Diagnostic Imaging
Company: St. David's North Austin Medical Center
Posted on: September 13, 2019
SHIFT: No Weekends
St. David's North Austin Medical Center is part of St. David's
HealthCare , one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was
recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014.
The 378-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility is dedicated to
the highest level of women's health services, including maternity
and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacent
St. David's Women's Center of Texas . The facility also features a
24-hour emergency department, the Texas Institute for Robotic
Surgery , the Bariatric Center, heart and vascular center,
neurology and neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient
and outpatient surgery, and acute inpatient and outpatient
rehabilitation, among many others. St. David's North Austin Medical
Center is also home to St. David's Children's Hospital . In 2012,
2013, 2015 and 2016, the hospital earned a national distinction for
patient safety from The Leapfrog Group .
The St. David's HealthCare Registered Nurse (SDHRN) fulfills an
important role as a central patient care provider responsible for
the coordination and delivery of patient centered nursing care. As
a full partner of the healthcare team, the SDHRN collaborates with
all other healthcare disciplines to achieve successful execution of
the patient's plan-of-care. The SDHRN utilizes physical assessment
skills and advanced diagnostic technology to aid in the assessment
of the patient's nursing care needs. Data collected is analyzed,
synthesized and disseminated to other healthcare providers. The
SDHRN continues to monitor and assess the patient's physical
condition, emotional and social needs, continually refining the
plan-of-care to ensure achievement of the desired goals of the
patient and facility outcomes. Responsible for professional nursing
care and related assistance to patients with a broad range of
illnesses. The RN is involved in direct and indirect patient care.
The staff nurse supports the medical care of patients under the
direction of the Medical Staff pursuant to the objectives of the
hospital. In collaboration with other health team members, follows
the philosophy, policies and goals of the facility and
Participates in providing patient specific care standards as
directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high
levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review s patient' s histor y prio r t o beginnin g physica l
assessment and incorporates findings into the exam.
- Performs physical patient assessments/reassessments on a
regular basis in accordance department standards. Pertinent data is
collected using appropriate assessment techniques.
- Incorporates available technology to aid in physical
- Prioritizes data collection by assessing the patient's
immediate condition or needs.
- Is able to discern critical findings and timely communicates
changes in the patient's condition to the appropriate patient care
- Data collection is inclusive of the patient, significant others
and health care providers when appropriate.
- The data collection process is systematic and ongoing.
- Considers the developmenta l goal s fo r infant , toddler ,
preschool , schoo l age , adolescent , adult an d geriatri c
patients during the assessment of patients.
- Assesse s patient/famil y learnin g needs , includin g an y
task s tha t th e patien t ca n or canno t accomplis h a s relate d
t o hi s o r he r curren t healt h problem . Consideratio n of age
, cultura l values , religiou s beliefs , emotiona l barriers ,
desir e an d motivatio n to learn , physica l and/o r cognitiv e
limitation , an d languag e barriers , a s indicated.
- Assesses for signs of abuse and neglect. Documents findings and
reports as appropriate when required. Diagnosis
- Develops patient centered nursing diagnoses.
- Nursing diagnoses are derived from the assessment data.
- Assists in the completion of diagnostic testing as ordered by
the medical team and other health care providers. Implementation of
Patient Plan of Care
- In collaboration with interdisciplinary members of the team,
formulates a plan of care including expected outcomes for each
patient based on diagnoses derived from patient assessments.
- Prescribes appropriate nursing care to meet the goals, as well
as the physical, psychological, psychosocial, emotional, and social
needs of the patient.
- Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development
over the life span to identify patient and family requirements
relative to age-specific needs
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and set priorities.
- The plan is individualized to the patient's condition, age or
- The plan incorporates the discharge planning process at time of
- The plan is developed with the patient, significant others, and
health care providers, when appropriate.
- The plan reflects current nursing practice.
- The plan is documented.
- The plan provides for continuity of care.
- The plan is appropriate to the patient's age, developmental
age, educational needs, and family/guardian expectations as related
to the diagnosis. Direct Patient Care
- Coordinates and participates in providing direct patient
- Performs skills proficiently and in accordance with the
standards of nursing care.
- Utilizes all equipment in the unit appropriate to patient with
maximum efficiency and effectiveness based on knowledge and
- Interventions are implemented in a safe and appropriate manner
- Performs nursing care in an organized and systematic
- Can organize work and utilize time efficiently based on
knowledge of nursing theories and procedures.
- Can interpret reports, data and medical information to
determine the needs of the patient and family.
- Can interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions
and manage several abstract and concrete variables.
- Addresses patient's nutritional needs as appropriate.
Administration of Medication
- Verifies accuracy of medication administration by following all
- Ensures medications are kept secure and stored
- Educates patients on potential side effects of prescribed
- Explains the purpose of all prescribed medications and teaches
patient's the appropriate self- administration of medications as
part of discharge planning process.
- Evaluates the patient's progress toward attainment of goals
defined in the plan-of-care.
- Evaluation is systematic and ongoing.
- The patient, significant others, and health care providers are
involved in the evaluation process when appropriate. Exceptional
- Is able to articulate the organization mission, vision and
values and how it relates to the SDHRN role.
- Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a
commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance
- Advocates on behalf of our patients and their family.
- Continuously pursues patient safety.
- Teaches, supervises, and serves as a resource person and
delegates in accordance with the competency level of all staff
- Serves as a preceptor and completes the appropriate
documentation of training and competency.
- Performs unit specific technical skills.
- Can manage multiple priorities.
- Has advanced time-management skills.
- Adapts to a rapidly changing work environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with people from diverse
- Is an engaged member of the unit and seeks opportunities to
participate on various hospital committees.
- Is an active participant in achieving facility patient
throughput goals of the organization. Financial Strength
- Increases the value of the care provided by ensuring efficient
and appropriate use of supplies.
- Ensures patient charges are correctly assigned by utilizing
point of use accounting systems in supply rooms and other
- Manages incremental overtime by minimizing occurrence through
proactive transition of care planning.
- Manages time and attendance by arriving on-time for work
assignment, facilitating coverage when absent from work, clocking
in and out accurately. Customer Loyalty
- Is highly engaged on all service excellence quality initiatives
such as: hourly rounding, patient discharge phone calls, narration
of care provided and golden hour.
- Provides exceptional service to hospital medical staff.
- Performs patient assessments/reassessments on a regular basis
in accordance with established policy.
- The priority of data collection is determined by the patient's
immediate condition or needs.
- Pertinent data is collected using appropriate assessment
- The patient's responses to interventions are documented
- Evaluations are systematic and ongoing, including diagnoses and
plan for care.
- In collaboration with interdisciplinary members of the
team..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: St. David's North Austin Medical Center, Austin , RN- Registered Nurse- Diagnostic Imaging, Healthcare , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!