Registered Nurse (RN) Emergency Department Nights with Weekend Rotations
Company: St. David's Heart Hospital of Austin
Posted on: April 18, 2019
DESCRIPTION SHIFT: Nights (rotating weekends)
Heart Hospital of Austin is part of St. David's HealthCare, one of
the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a
Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. Heart Hospital of
Austin --home to one of the largest non-academic cardiovascular
research programs in the world--is a 58- bed hospital with a
comprehensive 24-hour emergency department, an advanced Executive
Wellness Program, five operating rooms (ORs), including two hybrid
ORs, three catheterization labs and two electrophysiology labs. It
is one of the highest performing cardiovascular facilities in the
nation, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of
cardiovascular disease. Healthgrades awarded Heart Hospital of
Austin, in conjunction with its parent campus, St. David's Medical
Center, the 2016 America's 100 Best Hospitals Award(tm), 2016
Patient Safety Excellence Award(tm) and the 2016 Outstanding
Patient Experience Award(tm)--a unique trio of awards that only
three hospitals in the nation were able to achieve. Heart Hospital
of Austin has been named one of the Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals
in the nation by Truven Health Analytics for nine years and to
Truven's list of 100 Top Hospitals for four years, in conjunction
with St. David's Medical Center.
This professional staff person is responsible for performing
assessments, developing a plan of care, implementing and evaluating
the care. The RN administers medications and treatments as ordered
by physicians and in keeping with the current clinical nursing
practice. The RN is responsible for directing, monitoring and
evaluating the care delegated to non-licensed personnel. As a
member of the interdisciplinary care team, the RN works
collaboratively with the other members to assure the safe and
accurate delivery of care. In addition, the RN performs a range of
technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively
serve patient needs. Assumes, under the direction of the
Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality
control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
Emergency Room Nurse Responsibilities
* Actively seeks additional education opportunities to increase
emergency medicine knowledge base.
* Exhibits flexibility in transitioning from emergency nursing to
other nursing or clinical areas during census peaks.
* Maintains adequate par levels for equipment and supplies in
* Emergency Department.
* Assesses the immediacy and nature of the illness and/or injury of
the patient upon entering the emergency department.
* Demonstrates competency to manage all areas of emergency nursing
involving different body systems within age specific criteria.
Facilitates continuity of emergency treatment to minimize
* Maintains competencies needed to properly care for patients being
held in the Emergency Department.
* Demonstrates timely and appropriate completion of screening the
medical exam required by EMTALA.
* Completes admission assessment and periodic reassessments
according to patient's progress and/or unit protocols and
* Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to
interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
* Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in the
development, evaluation, and revision of the plan of care as
appropriate to meet the patient's needs and goals.
* Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a
safe and comforting environment resulting in a high level of
* Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital
policies and procedures.
* Provides education to patients/families/significant others,
incorporating age-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to
* Maintains patient confidentiality. Maintains standard
precautions. Maintains all necessary documentation.
* Administers medications and completes treatments according to
hospital policy and within age-specific parameters.
* Facilitates discharge plan in collaboration with
* Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care
* Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency
* Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to
established policy and procedure. Documents required information
and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
Staff/ Unit Responsibilities
* Delegates appropriately to non-licensed staff in accordance with
job descriptions, license requirements, and standards of
* Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
* Maintains and develops own professional competencies. Maintains
* Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation
* Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and
Utilization Review program.
* Assumes a leadership role in the maintenance of the
patient-focused care delivery system.
* Assists in directing and guiding staff in the coordination of
* Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross
* Demonstrates willingness to assist other areas of the hospital as
* Cross-trains and willingly works in other areas of the hospital
accepting assignments within competency level.
* Effectively applies prioritization and time management to
* Assists in all aspects of care in the environment. Adheres to all
policy and procedures.
* Ensures that a patient has a signed consent present in the chart
prior to procedure.
* Assists with recruiting and interviewing of competent staff.
* Assists staff in problem solving work issues and in adapting to
the patient-focused care environment.
* Trains staff on hospital computer system. Assists with
orientation, evaluation, and retention of clinical staff
* Adheres to dress code, conduct and attendance policies.
* Accepts both positive and negative constructive feedback.
* Demonstrates individual responsibility for keeping current by
attending meetings, in-services, reading minutes and listening to
taped reports. Expresses self in an organized, comprehensive,
articulate and concise manner.
* Offers input in specific work plans and due dates. Effectively
* Follows through on planned assignments within assigned
* Demonstrates a willingness to accept extra assignments.
* Adjusts to change, work pressures or different situations without
* Demonstrates skill in developing improvements in work
* Maintains positive relationships with internal customers. Is
effective in interacting with and problem solving.
* Maintains positive relationships with external customers. Is
effective in interacting with and problem solving.
* Proactive in meeting customer's needs. Responds promptly to
customer needs or requests.
* Keeps Team Leader informed of problems, recommends solutions.
We are committed to:
Providing an inclusive work environment where everyone is treated
with fairness, dignity and respect.
Recruiting and retaining a diverse staff reflective of the patients
and communities we serve.
Equal employment opportunities are provided to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual
orientation, genetic information, gender identity, protected
veteran status, or any other legally protected category in
accordance to applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Keywords: St. David's Heart Hospital of Austin, Austin , Registered Nurse (RN) Emergency Department Nights with Weekend Rotations, Healthcare , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!