RN Charge Nurse - Med Surg
Company: Travis County
Posted on: January 25, 2023
RN Charge NurseJob Summary
Are you looking for a great place to work that allows you to
utilize your skillset in a fast-paced learning environment? The
Travis County Sheriff's Office (TCSO) offers an opportunity for you
to work in a safe environment that offers exposure to a wide range
of patient care, diagnoses, and treatment management. TCSO is
seeking to hire RNs who are passionate about their chosen
profession and want to deliver quality medical services to an
appreciative patient population.
Travis County offers a premier Total Rewards package that includes
a highly rated retirement plan, vacation and sick leave, personal
holidays, longevity pay, tuition reimbursement, medical, dental ,
and vision, and a free employee health care clinic. We have
immediate openings at Travis County Sheriff's Correctional Complex
in Del Valle, Texas and at our Travis County Jail Downtown.
This is the fifth in a series of five nursing-related job
classifications within the Medical job family. This classification
practices under the guidelines of the Texas Nurse Practice Act in
collaboration with physicians and other staff. Incumbents perform
administrative and nursing duties of advanced complexity that
require a high degree of initiative and independent judgment. This
classification is distinguished from the Registered Nurse II in
that incumbents plan, perform and evaluate nursing/patient care
functions, and provide clinical and administrative supervision to
other on-site nursing staff. This classification may require work
in secure facilities. This classification requires a flexible work
schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Assigns nursing schedules, duties and responsibilities to
Certified Nursing Assistants, Licensed Vocational Nurses and
Registered Nurses. Oversees clinic scheduling. Conducts annual
evaluations for subordinate nursing personnel.
* Assesses, prioritizes and responds to all categories of patient
emergent medical needs. Assigns nursing staff on duty to provide
* Provides clinical supervision to nursing staff on duty.
* Reviews treatment programs and assesses overall
* Consults with clinical and administrative staff about patient
health care issues.
* Provides direct health care to patients, including wound care,
medication administration, monitoring of vital signs and laboratory
procedures. Documents patient's condition.
* Coordinates with other medical staff about all aspects of patient
* Reviews medical records to ensure continuity of care.
* Practices and trains healthcare staff in safety, environmental
and/or infection control methods.
* Provides health care instruction and counseling to residents.
* Answers medical questions from staff, patient's relatives and
others as appropriate.
* May process patients into the facility by screening and
evaluating their medical and mental histories.
* May assist patients with activities of daily living, including
bathing and feeding.
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited Registered Nursing program AND two
(2) years of Registered Nursing experience, including one (1) year
of lead or supervisory experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special
Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of
Current Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
* Standard nursing and other healthcare practices.
* Policies, practices, procedures and terminology related to
nursing and healthcare.
* Federal, State, Local and County nursing and other healthcare
laws and requirements.
* Diagnosis and treatment of a variety of diseases and
* Proper dosages and expected results of medication.
* Proper infection control techniques.
* Principles and procedures of medical documentation and record
* Knowledge of and adherence to HIPAA and other federal and state
laws requiring the confidential handling of certain health
* Administering daily patient care, including using stethoscope,
blood pressure cuff, thermometer and other medical instruments.
* Scheduling health care staffing in a high volume setting.
* Administering Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First
* Performing medical tests and recording results accurately.
* Prioritizing patient needs.
* Problem-solving and decision-making.
* Both verbal and written communication.
* Plan, assign, supervise and review the work of subordinates.
* Work efficiently both independently and as part of a medical
* Recognize and identify health symptoms.
* Exercise sound judgment and react quickly in emergency
* Manage time well and perform multiple tasks.
* Understand and precisely follow both verbal and written
instructions and communicate in a concise and effective manner.
* Work effectively and courteously under high-pressure
* Work in a secure environment.
* Deal effectively with mentally disturbed, hostile and aggressive
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
patients, medical and other County employees and officials, and the
Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to
35-100 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand
and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a
computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking,
sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending,
stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling,
balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the
essential functions. Subject to contact with communicable diseases,
radiation, hazardous waste, human fecal matter and foul odors.
Travis County employees play an important role in business
continuity. As such, employees can be assigned to business
continuity efforts outside of normal job functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not
necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime
eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the
$4.40/HR SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL FOR B&C SHIFT ASSIGNMENTS, AS WELL
AS ALL WEEKEND SHIFTS. SHIFT ASSIGNMENT WILL DEPEND ON AVAILABILITY
AT TIME OF HIRE.
Work Hours: Works various shifts; works some holidays, nights, and
weekends. RNs are needed at Travis County Correctional Complex:
3-11 Shift and 11-7 Shift. RNs are needed at
Travis County Jail: 3-11 Shift and 11-7 Shift
Location: Austin, TX
Drug and Alcohol Test Required
Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education, and Employment Background
Keywords: Travis County, Austin , RN Charge Nurse - Med Surg, Healthcare , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!