Temporary - Registered Nurse (Immunizations) - Med Surg
Company: City of Austin, TX
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Temporary - Registered Nurse (Immunizations)Bookmark this
Posting - Print Preview - Apply for this Job
Posting Title Temporary - Registered Nurse (Immunizations) Job
Requisition Number COA088010 Position Number T95505 Job Type
Full-Time Division Name Austin Public Health Minimum
Education and/or Equivalent Experience
* Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
* License or permit to practice nursing in the State of Texas.
* Must have current healthcare provider Cardiopulmonary
Resuscitation (CPR) course completion card and will be required to
maintain a current certification during employment.
Notes to Applicants
The is a part-time position providing vaccinations to mainly
children. Clinics run Monday-Saturday.
* This position supports Austin Public Health's Mission and Core
Purpose identified in the Austin Public Health Strategic Plan.
* Departmental Competencies related to the position can be found on
Austin Public Health's website.
* Due to high-risk areas, Austin Public Health employees must
comply with the department's immunization policy.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
* A detailed, complete COA employment application is required. It
helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to
determine your salary if you are selected for this position.
* Please be sure to detail on the application all previous
employment that you wish to be considered as part of your
* A cover letter is required. In the cover letter candidates should
describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and
highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this
* A r--sum-- is also required but will not substitute for a
complete COA employment application. When completing the City of
Austin employment application, the Work experience listed must
include a month, year, and a verifiable Supervisor or Human
Resources phone number. Incomplete applications will not be
* Each individual who submits an Application as provided in the
Municipal Civil Service Rules and meets the Minimum Qualifications
for a Competitive Position shall be considered a Candidate for that
Position. Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within
the Department or division that the Position resides in and who
meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications (if any) of the
Position will be included in the initial interview.
If you are selected to interview:
* Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time
of the initial interview to receive military/veteran interview
* This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background
* If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your
education, which may include High School graduation or GED,
undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
* All Austin Public Health worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use
of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any APH
worksite - including parking lots, garages, or in any personal
vehicle located on the premises.
Electronic Notification to Applications:
* Applicants will be notified via e-mail to communicate important
information related to the status of their application as part of
an ongoing effort to increase operational efficiency, promote a
green environment and minimize delays and costs. Please ensure that
the email address and contact information you provide are current,
secure, and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible
in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your
inbox in a timely manner.
* Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that
the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7
* When public health responds to an emergency you may be assigned
activities that are outside your regular job description. This may
involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with
possible deployment to locations other than the Austin Public
* This position is eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
(PSF) Program. This program is a federal program that is intended
to encourage individuals to work in public service by forgiving the
balance of their federal student loans.
$34.35 RN flat rate
This is a part-time position with the following schedule:
* Monday: 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
* Tuesday and Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
* Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Job Close Date 02/03/2023 Type of Posting External Department
Austin Public Health Regular/Temporary Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable Category
Professional Location 405 W. Stassney Preferred Qualifications
* Experience administering vaccines to children.
* Public Health experience.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with
Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties
may be assigned.
* Interview patients and review records to ascertain medical
history, current physical condition, symptoms of illness, etc
* Obtain routine information such as height, weight, temperature,
pulse, and blood pressure and provide basic physical
* Assess physical condition of patient using observation,
inspection, auscultation, palpation, and percussion.
* Assess the physical, social, and emotional needs of patients and
families in clinics or in their homes.
* Develop a health care plan in cooperation with the
patient/family, significant others, and members of the health care
* Formulate, direct and/or execute plan of care and any needed
* Provide nursing care, which may include immunizations,
phlebotomy, collecting urine, hemotocrit tests, routine tests,
specialized tests, vital signs, pregnancy tests, dipstick
urinalysis, and prepare other specimens.
* Counsel client and family concerning health assessment and
* Teach and counsel patients, families, and groups on the
prevention of disease, disability, hygiene, and health
* Refer patients and families to other services or for follow-up
treatment based on assessment of health care needs.
* Maintain complete and accurate records, logs, and statistics of
patient status and care provided.
* Monitor work to ensure quality assurance or other standards are
* Prioritize the workload and referrals made to other
* Assist in the development of protocol, policies, and
* May identify patients/groups with potential high risk of physical
and emotional illness through analysis of statistical records.
* May conduct investigations and provide instructions in preventive
measure of communicable diseases, immunization programs and
* May coordinate daily clerical activities including setting
patient appointments and scheduling providers.
* May maintain patient follow-up procedures, including broken
appointment and abnormal lab follow-up procedures, immunization
tickler/tracking system, abnormal laboratory results, and maintains
patient tickler file.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience
and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable
accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of public health
* Knowledge of information and techniques needed to diagnose and
treat injuries and diseases.
* Knowledge of related cultural, social, environmental and economic
forces in family and group relationships.
* Knowledge of medicines and their application for treatments.
* Knowledge of holistic health care treatments.
* Knowledge of instruments and equipment used in providing routine
and specialized patient care.
* Knowledge of current community resources available.
* Skill in providing nursing care, customer service, and personal
* Skill in setting priorities and making judgments concerning
* Skill in teaching and interviewing techniques.
* Skill in effectively instructing and directing the work of
* Skill in recording and reporting accurate information.
* Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
relationships with patients, families, community groups and
organizations, physicians, City employees, and the general
* Ability to communicate information and ideas.
* Ability to read and understand information and ideas
* Ability to perceive pertinent details.
* Ability to record and report accurate information.
* Ability to interpret symptoms and assess the patient's
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved
for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with
Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during
the application process or have a question regarding an essential
job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or
employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender
identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual
orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in
employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS, AIDS
Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate
against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV
infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the
department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and
preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* * The minimum requirements for the Registered Nurse position are:
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing. License or permit
to practice nursing in the State of Texas. Must have current
healthcare provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course
completion card and will be required to maintain a current
certification during employment. Do you meet these minimum
* * If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal
background check (CBI)?
* * Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this
position must comply with the departments immunization policy as a
condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
* Yes, I will comply to the vaccinations required by the APH
* No, I cannot meet this requirement
* * In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any
interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business
entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting
any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any
contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of
* Don't know
* * If you answered yes to the question above, please describe your
(Open Ended Question)
* * This is a part time position and the schedule may change based
on business needs. Are you able to meet the scheduling needs of
Optional & Required Documents
* Cover Letter
Keywords: City of Austin, TX, Austin , Temporary - Registered Nurse (Immunizations) - Med Surg, Healthcare , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!