Veterinarian - Hospital Medical Leader
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together
to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Healthier pets. Happier people. Better world. Our vision might
sound lofty, but we believe it's attainable when we obsess about
providing complete care for our amazing pets. Our approach goes far
beyond addressing our animals' basic needs to support their
physical, mental, social, and emotional needs. By being sure we
take all of these elements into consideration, we can help pet
parents take the very best care of their pets.
Our obsession with delivering the very best experiences for pets
and their parents guides all we do. From our convenient, affordable
pet salon services to our extensive array of training classes and
workshops, we always make sure to keep our commitment to healthy,
happy pets front and center.
The purpose of the Hospital Medical Leader position is to lead the
hospital veterinary team in providing excellent veterinary care to
our Vetco Total Care full-service hospital patients while offering
phenomenal customer care to their owners. The Hospital Medical
Director represents the mission and values to all clients,
veterinarians, and hospital and store partners.
All hospital partners are responsible for performing their duties
in a way that creates an environment in which:
* The patient's needs always come first
* Every team member understands that they have the power to do what
it takes to create an exceptional customer and patient
* Contentious issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur when
possible, or as soon as is possible
* Exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits the
Essential Job Functions
Listed are the essential duties and responsibilities that are
required of this position. The incumbent must be able to perform
all the following duties and responsibilities with or without
* Lead hospital veterinarian team.
* Partner with Hospital Office Manager to provide cohesive and
collaborative leadership to the entire hospital team.
* Mentor and coach hospital veterinarians to drive continuous
improvement in clinical skills, client communication, team
collaboration and standard of care.
* Hold responsibility for driving hospital commitment to medical
quality, including compliance with Petco Medical SOPs and all
applicable laws and regulations.
* Understand and assure strict compliance of state practice act
requirements for full-service veterinary hospitals.
* Conduct veterinarian candidate interviewing and onboarding.
* Participate in hospital partner interviews.
* Create veterinarian schedule, identify potential gaps and partner
with Hospital Office Manager and field leadership to correct.
* Closely monitor hospital performance, and in partnership with HOM
and field leadership identify areas of opportunity to drive
business results through exceptional quality of care and client
* Review P&L monthly reporting, and partner with HOM and Field
Leadership to increase revenue growth and exceed financial targets
set by Finance team by ensuring a high level of quality and high
level of efficiency.
* Conduct regular review of electronic medical records of direct
reports regarding patient decisions and provide feedback and
direction as a means to elevate patient care.
* Ensure all client concerns and reportable incidents are addressed
swiftly, partner with the Hospital Office Manager and field
leadership in appropriate resolution.
* Maintain and be responsible for ordering, inventory and recording
of all controlled substances and keep hospital in compliance with
* Promote a strong culture of safety for both team and pets
* Partner with Hospital Office Manager for all hospital radiation
safety training and compliance.
Clinical Care duties:
* Provide excellent patient care by performing physical
examinations, diagnosing and treating diseases, and providing
preventive care according to patient lifestyle and location on
feline and canine patients.
* Utilize a problem-based approach that includes developing a
complete problem list for every patient examined, a complete list
of differential diagnoses for each problem identified, a complete
diagnostic plan, and appropriate treatments based on interpretation
of diagnostic test results leading to confirmed or suspected
* Document all patient observations, findings of exams and
diagnostics, treatments and medications, client interactions, and
tentative and confirmed diagnoses in the medical record in a
concise and detailed fashion, according to practice convention.
* Perform routine and complex surgical procedures including (but
not limited to) spays/neuters, exploratory laparotomy, and mass
* Perform routine and complex dental procedures including full
dental examination, evaluation of dental radiographs, as well as
simple and complex extractions and oral surgical procedures.
* Develop treatment plans for patients undergoing daytime
hospitalization utilizing a complete problem-based assessment.
Transition patients to overnight care as needed and communicate
effectively with referral hospitals and clients in order to ensure
continuity of patient care.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
* Participate in rounds as incoming or exiting doctor at beginning
and end of shifts
* Disseminate knowledge throughout team members in order to improve
the level of care provided by all, to both the patient and the
* Perform additional duties as assigned.
* Maintain any required state premise permits or hospital vendor
accounts as needed.
Nature of Supervision
In all activities related to the care of individual patients, the
incumbent will take direct supervision from the Area Medical
Director. The Hospital Medical Director has discretion related to
decisions regarding patient care, however it is imperative that the
Hospital Medical Director uphold the standards set forth in the
Petco Veterinary SOPs. The Hospital Medical Director should expect
to receive direction and guidance based on electronic medical
record review from the Area Medical Director regarding patient
decisions and should accept such feedback as a means to elevate
patient care and client interactions in our hospital.
All hospital veterinarians should work together in a collegial
fashion and are expected to behave in a professional and personable
Planning and Problem Solving
Problem solving is at the heart of veterinary medicine, and it is
expected that any successful candidate will possess excellent
problem-solving skills that allow expeditious diagnosis of patient
This position will impact the organization by contributing to the
growth of a productive practice while focusing on a high-quality
standard of care. From an overall hospital organizational
standpoint, this position is critical to ensuring that we have a
cohesive, well-trained, and motivated team. The desired end result
is the creation of an optimal environment that ensures employee
retention, patient well-being, and customer satisfaction.
This position has supervisory responsibility for all hospital
veterinarians, including full-time, part-time, exotic, and relief
The majority of job duties are conducted in the Vetco Total Care
veterinary full-service hospital. Position requires bending,
kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary), and standing for
long periods of time. A large amount of this partner's time will be
spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.
This position will regularly communicate with clients, veterinary
specialists, and companies that provide products and/or services
that the practice utilizes
* Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from an AVMA-accredited
veterinary school or its equivalent
* 1-3 years minimum of clinical veterinary experience
* Experience mentoring and coaching veterinarians preferred
* Active licensure as a veterinarian without contingencies in the
state in which the hospital is located or ability to obtain by
* Current DEA license
* Current Controlled Substance License, if applicable, in state in
which the hospital is located or ability to obtain by start
* USDA Category I Accreditation or completion within two months of
* Strong skills performing anesthesia and routine surgeries
including but not limited to: canine and feline spays, neuters,
mass removals, and dentals
* Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Must be compassionate and sympathetic, and be able to maintain a
professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful
* Must have telephone and computer skills
* Must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and
treatments, offer creative ideas, and accept change
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected
veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Keywords: PetCo, Austin , Veterinarian - Hospital Medical Leader, Healthcare , Bastrop, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!