Posted on: November 11, 2019
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Director, Design
for the San Antonio Home Office I or the Austin Design Studio.
At USAA, Design Directors manage and inspire their team to craft
experiences that help members and their families feel financially
secure. Design Directors cultivate an open and collaborative design
culture and lead by example. They apply innovative approaches to
address business, member, and employee problems so their teams can
create new solutions. They are masters of their craft - ensuring
the conceptual integrity and quality of the designs created by
their team is of the highest level for the entire solution.Job
- Expertly applies human-centered design approaches to frame
problems and explore solutions that clearly define a vision of what
a product or service experience is, what it does, and how it looks
and works from the Member's perspective. -
- Leads a team to conceptualize, critique, execute, and validate
experience frameworks and interaction design models. Directs
creation of current and desired experience models, scenarios,
storyboards, and flows. -
- Leads a creative team of direct report design practitioners.
Manages the team, makes hiring decisions, helps with individual
career and skills development, training recommendations, etc.
- Builds, mentors and inspires design teams while effectively
navigating complex enterprise organizations and processes. Defines
and models the team culture, ensuring it aligns with the USAA
mission and core values; enables an environment where the team can
take pride in its work, be daring and push the envelope of design,
and continually grow their skills.
- Runs a creative review processes to ensure coherency with
design principles and guidelines keeping a hand in practical design
through contribution and collaboration with the team.
- Expected to do work across the company to build a strong
culture of design. -
- Expert understanding of current and emerging user experience,
user-centered design and design principles. Experience in building
and maintaining relationships with partner groups across the
company (CDO, legal, content, IT, innovation, marketing, channel,
- Bachelor's Degree or 12+ years of related Design
- 8 or more years of progressive, hands-on digital and experience
design related experience required.
- 3 or more years of direct design team lead or management
- Subject-matter-expert understanding of current and emerging
experience design principles, and human-centered design
methodologies, and demonstrated application of the knowledge,
skills and abilities of experience design practitioners.
- Subject-matter-expert level of business acumen in leading
cross-functional initiatives, partnering with business owners to
improve the quality of the member's/user's experience, design
industry practices and emerging trends in design.
- Link to Portfolio of UX/Design work demonstrating: The process
involved in shaping the design or project; Experience with multiple
contexts and devices (mobile, tablet, web/desktop, voice,
wearable); Examples of gestural, voice, and hardware interfaces
desirable; Direct experience with design/user research, interaction
design, information architecture, visual design, and
implementation; Design of complex systems at scale; Effective use
of storytelling techniques as a tool for designing
interactions.*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different
job level*When you apply for this position, you will be required to
answer some initial questions. - This will take approximately 5
minutes. - Once you begin the questions you will not be able to
finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your
- Experience working effectively in a large enterprise
- Product design experience (not only marketing design
- Inspiring, open minded, hard-working, collaborative, and
- Experience working in the financial services industry. -
- Deep understanding of design research, interaction and visual
design disciplines and design standards.
- Experience working in a regulated environment and dealing with
- Experience working within a design language system and
encouraging component reuse, maintainability, and consistency
across teams and projects. -
- A portfolio of beautiful design work (both execution and
- Experience creating omni-channel design solutions (browser,
- Experience building Service BlueprintsThe above description
reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal
functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed
description of all the work requirements that may be performed in
the job.At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits
packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or
casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision
plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. -
Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education
will assist you with your professional goals.Relocation assistance
is available for this position.For Internal Candidates:Must
complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date
of placement) or must have manager's approval prior to posting.Last
day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 11/14/19 by
11:59 pm CST time.
Keywords: USAA, Austin , Design Director, Executive , Buda, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!