Director of Software Engineering Customer Experience
Company: Sysco LABS
Posted on: July 15, 2019
About Sysco LABS
Sysco LABS is a technology-focused division within Sysco, dedicated
to reimagining foodservice through innovation. An extension of
Sysco's commitment to deliver exceptional products and services to
the foodservice industry, Sysco LABS uses customer and market
intelligence, data-driven insights and agile technology development
to rethink the entire foodservice ecosystem.
Our innovation will improve everything from the ordering process,
inventory, pricing and automation to the in-restaurant customer
experience. Operating with the mindset of a startup and backed by
the authoritative expertise of an industry leader, Sysco LABS'
mission is to improve the Sysco customer experience and
consistently deliver revenue growth, cost savings, and new
innovations through technology.
About the Role
The Austin engineering team is experiencing significant growth as
we expand our US-based team to help execute the Sysco LABS mission.
The Director of Engineering – CX role will be a technical and
managerial leader of the Austin engineering team to help set the
tone, lead the partnership with our Austin product team, and help
define the Engineering career path, capability development, and
engineering practices of the growing team.
As an integral member of the Sysco LABS Customer Experience team,
the Director of Engineering – CX will be accountable for balancing
the quality, timeline, and budget (good, fast, and cheap – all
three!) of Austin engineering efforts by partnering with Product
and Engineering leadership and driving the team to deliver
predictable software that is performant, simple, and easy to
maintain / update. To date, the development team in Austin has been
successful through individual efforts but, going forward, we will
need to balance our start-up "scrappy" roots with the right level
of standards, process, and automation to ensure our products are
meeting and exceeding the needs of our 300,000+ plus customers
processing the majority of Sysco's $55 BB of annual revenue.
- Provide strategic technical leadership for day-to-day
development efforts of React, Node.js and Elastic Search
engineering teams working across the Austin Customer Experience
(CX) engineering organization
- Partner with Sysco LABS global engineering teams to establish
common engineering standards and sponsor the adherence to the
standards in the Austin engineering team
- Champion the technical and functional development of the
- Consistently evolve the engineering management career path for
strong future leaders to develop their management and leadership
- Closely work with Engineering leadership and the Sysco LABS
technical recruiter to maintain a solid engineering candidate
pipeline and optimize the technical interview process
- Collaborate with CX Support and Technical Operations leads to
optimize the Level 3 engineering support processes and adhere to
established Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
The Director of Engineering – CX will have demonstrated leadership
hyper-growth. S/He will have strong experience balancing "fly by
the seat of your pants" and "overly governed" to optimize the
quality, consistency, and velocity of Agile engineering teams while
keeping developer velocity and creativity at an upper limit.
Experience in a start-up environment is valuable but this
individual must know how to build, deploy, and maintain
enterprise-grade software – the applications being built by Sysco
LABS will process > $55 BB of revenue for 300,000+ users.
- 8+ years as a hands-on leader of software engineering
- 5+ years experience developing web-based applications in React,
- 5+ years experience working in a large-scale software
- 3+ years developing custom eCommerce applications
- 3+ years managing AWS environments (or leading teams operating
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior problem solving and deductive reasoning skills
- Strong ability to document troubleshooting and solutions
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in an unstructured start-up environment and
enterprise IT environments (yes, potentially conflicting areas but
both are relevant in a daily basis in Sysco LABS)
- BS/BA or equivalent work experience
- Preferred: Experience leading Elastic Search development teams;
we are currently "in-flight" with many significant search-centric
opportunities on our 2-4-year roadmap
At Sysco LABS, you will be on a team who values trust, learning and
working closely together to build groundbreaking experiences for
our customers. Come join us!
We embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are
committed to building a team that represents a variety of
backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are,
the better our work will be.
Keywords: Sysco LABS, Austin , Director of Software Engineering Customer Experience, Executive , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!