Health and Wellness Director - North Austin
Company: YMCA of Austin
Posted on: February 14, 2019
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY FEBRUARY 15, 2019ABOUT USThe Employer is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living, and for social responsibility that promote strong families, youth leadership, and community development.OUR CULTUREOur mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.Join us and help transform lives.JOB SUMMARYUnder the direction of the Branch Executive Director, the Program Director will manage all aspects of the fitness department in accordance with the mission and purpose of the Employer. The Program Director is responsible for the initiation and implementation of new programs, the training and supervision of necessary staff, and the evaluation and modification of these initiatives. The Program Director will further ensure that all YMCA standards are being met and/or exceeded as they relate to program and membership development. The Program Director will work collaboratively with the Healthy Living Director to incorporate new initiatives for the community. As a result, this position will be developing more partnerships/collaborations with outside groups and other non-profits to further the mission of the Employer. The Program Director works independently under general direction and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks. This position will also be the Community Garden Liaison for the North Austin Branch. The Program Director will maintain and grow the community garden membership, will maintain garden by-laws, and work with the Community Garden Board. In addition, the Program Director will help to create awareness of the Community Garden and further expand programs by utilizing the garden.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of members, program participants, volunteers, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.Specific Duties:
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values.
- Assists in the distribution of program information.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
- Assists in branch fundraising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints professional, friendly and timely manner.
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the Employer, performing those duties as assigned by Branch Director and President/CEO of the YMCA.
- Actively and enthusiastically support the Branch and Association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members and guests.
- Supervise existing fitness programs such as aerobics scheduling and staffing, free-weight training, floor supervision, and Senior Fitness.
- Develop new member fitness orientation programming in conjunction with the Membership Department.
- Provide training for Fitness Staff to ensure quality and knowledge.
- Evaluate department staff regularly and formally once a year.
- Meet and exceed department budget.
- Personally participate and solicit others for necessary YMCA financial development programs such as Annual Campaign, World Service and capital projects.
- Participate in the association Health & Wellness Impact Team.
- Serve as a branch representative for additional impact teams and/or task forces as requested by Branch Executive.
- Promote membership & membership retention.
- Prepare and supervise department budget.
- Develop new programs either on or off site.
- Develop ongoing programs to serve various specific populations such as, but not limited to, teens, families and active older adults.
- Develop and implement an ongoing equipment preventive maintenance program.
- Develop and implement an ongoing quality assurance program with a goal to meet and/or exceed association and national standards related to field of Health & Wellness.
- Develop a professional development plan for continued growth and attend necessary and elective trainings, making a good faith effort towards becoming a Team Leader and/or Multi-Team Leader
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Help manage and work with the Community Garden Board in order to maintain and expand growth of the Community Garden.
- Develop and manage community garden budget.
- Meet monthly with community garden board.QUALIFICATIONSThe requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education - Bachelor's degree from four year college or university in kinesiology, recreation management, physical education, sports management or a related field preferred.
- Experience 1 or 2 years of previous experience delivering fitness programs and managing staff.
- Certifications- Certification in at least 2 relevant modalities. This could include, but is not limited to, yoga, Zumba, BodyPump, personal training and Pilates or must be certified by 90 days of employment.
- Technical Skills:
- Ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of member relations system and/or database.
- Advance skills in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance basics.
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to meet deadlines and/or complete scheduled Manager on duty shifts.
- Able to multi-task.
- Bilingual PreferredSALARY:The salary range for this position is $38,000-42,000 depending on experience and full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus employer matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
Keywords: YMCA of Austin, Austin , Health and Wellness Director - North Austin, Executive , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!