Director of Governance (Immediate)
Company: KIPP Texas
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Company DescriptionAbout KIPP TexasKIPP Texas Public Schools is
a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, PreK-12 schools
educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth,
Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities,
our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools
that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the
paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead
fulfilling lives and build a more just world.Founded in Houston in
1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to
diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in
our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are
looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and
dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child
will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase
excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise
together.KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255
college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the
District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year
college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average
for all students and approximately three times higher than the
average of students from low-income communities.Job Description
ABOUT THE ROLE The Director of Governance plays a critical role in
overseeing the governance and compliance functions of KIPP Texas
Public Schools. This position is responsible for developing and
implementing effective governance policies, procedures, and
practices, as well as ensuring compliance with applicable laws, and
regulations. The Director of Governance serves as a key liaison
between the school's administration, board of directors, and
external stakeholders, promoting transparency, accountability, and
ethical conduct. The Director will support the entire process of
Board management for 4 Regional Boards, the KTX State Board, and
Board workgroups. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES 1. Governance
Strategy and Planning
- Develop and implement a comprehensive governance strategy
aligned with the school's mission, vision, and goals.
- Collaborate with the board of directors, CAO, CEO and Managing
Director of Governance to establish and maintain effective
governance structures, including committees, bylaws, and
- Conduct regular assessments of governance.2. Stakeholder
relations and board management
- Serve as the primary point of contact for governance-related
inquiries from parents, staff, community members, and external
- Promote transparency and effective communication between the
board, school administration, and stakeholders.
- Support the Managing Director of Governance with ensuring that
board member inquiries are responded to in a timely manner.3.
Compliance and Oversight:
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws,
regulations, and reporting requirements.
- Monitor changes in education laws and regulations, providing
guidance to the board and school administration on implications and
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all
governance-related documents, contracts, and agreements.
- Partner with legal counsel on board related matters.4. Board of
- Coordinate board meetings with guidance from the CEO and Chief
Advancement Officer including agenda development, materials
preparation, and meeting logistics.
- Support board committees by providing necessary information,
coordinating meetings, and ensuring effective committee
- Implement a comprehensive governance strategy aligned with the
board's mission, vision, and goals, while adhering to Texas
education policies and standards.7. Coach and develop the Manager
- This role involves providing direct supervision, guidance, and
support to the Manager of Governance, who assists in the day-to-day
implementation of governance policies, compliance monitoring, and
stakeholder relations.QualificationsKey Skills and Competencies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability
to navigate complex legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the
ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Exceptional organizational and project management abilities,
with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to work independently
and as part of a team.
- Exceptional strategic thinking and analytical skills, with the
ability to solve complex problems and implement solutions; ability
to manage both the big picture and the details; a strong sense of
judgment; ability to navigate complex legal, political, and
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities;
ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, demanding
environment; thrives in an entrepreneurial environment; willing to
learn and take on new responsibilities; comfortable with
- Ability to model KIPP values at all times, including respect
for KIPP network leadership, teachers, and students by listening,
questioning, assisting, and responding quickly
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax
- Knowledge of Raiser's Edge fundraiser or other donor software
is helpful, but not requiredKnowledge and ExperienceThe ideal
- Must have a Bachelor's degree
- A proven experience in governance, compliance, or a similar
role, preferably in the education sector.
- An in-depth knowledge of education laws, regulations, and
charter school governance models.Additional InformationCompensation
and BenefitsSalary is based on years of experience, degree of
education, and level of expertise.A competitive benefits package is
also offered.WHAT WE BRING TO THE TABLE
- Competitive vacation and flexible paid time off (PTO)
- Paid family leave.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans with varying
coverage for employees and their families, inclusive of virtual
physician visits. High deductible health plan with HSA also
- Employee assistance programs.
- Participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas
- 457 Roth retirement plan option with KIPP matching contribution
up to $1,200 a year. 403bAs a full-time KIPP Texas employee you are
eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP
Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices with competitive
rates, including medical, dental, and vision options, life
insurance, and disability plans. KIPP provides equal employment
opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal
opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race,
religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual
orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Keywords: KIPP Texas, Austin , Director of Governance (Immediate), Executive , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!