Vice President of Development and Communications - Corpus Christi, TX
Company: Texas Association of Museums
Posted on: November 27, 2022
Vice President of Development and Communications -- Corpus
Christi, TX Position Announcement - November 21, 2022 Vice
President of Development and Communications - Corpus Christi Museum
of Science and History The Corpus Christi Museum of Science and
History (CCMSH) seeks an experienced Vice President of Development
and Communications with a demonstrated commitment to organizational
excellence and to build on our mission to "engage and educate
people in science and South Texas history through exhibitions and
programming". Founded in 1957, the CCMSH has grown to encompass
approximately 100,000 square feet and is the repository for
hundreds of thousands of artifacts and historically significant
items. The CCMSH is located at 1900 N Chaparral, Corpus Christi, TX
78401. More detailed information may be found at www.ccmuseum.com
Compensation Salary range $65,000 - $70,000, commensurate with
experience. Generous benefits package including medical coverage,
vacation, holidays, and simple retirement plan. Please no phone
calls, faxes, or snail mail. Job Description JOB TITLE: Vice
President of Development and Communications PURPOSE/FUNCTION OF
POSITION: The Vice President of Resource Development and
Communications is responsible for all aspects of the CCMSH resource
development strategies (annual campaigns, corporate gifts and
sponsorships, special events - both internal and external-, gifts
and CCMSH branded special events) individual memberships and gifts,
and communication strategies. This includes enhancing/increasing
all revenue streams. This position also oversees the planning and
execution of strategic communications activities that build the
CCMSH brand, strengthening relationships with key constituencies.
The Vice President of Development and Communications leads the
development department to maintain superior donor relationships and
meet measurable revenue goals. This position ensures all
development and communication activities are fully integrated with
the mission of the CCMSH. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES: Organizational
- Participates as a member of the Leadership Team to provide a
united, visible, and strong leadership presence across the
organization to help instill new thinking, focus, and prioritize
efforts, and operationalize the plan to achieve the goals of the
- Assists the President/CEO and Leadership Team in promoting the
long-range plans and goals of the CCMSH to the community.
- Aids the President and CEO in staffing special committees and
in the administration of functions that enable the organization to
meet its commitments to the community.
- Works closely with the Vice President of Programs to ensure all
functions of the CCMSH are integrated.
- Works with the President and CEO and VP of Programs to monitor
budgets, data analysis and other financial oversight related to
communications and development.
- Participates in selection of, guides, motivates, and
participates in the training, professional development, and
evaluation of direct reports.
- Provides goal setting, leadership, and strategic direction to
- Is responsible for accurate and timely completion and/or
approval of organizational documents, including but not limited to,
professional development plans, goals and objectives, timesheets,
expense and travel reimbursements, requisitions, performance
reviews and ongoing documentation of performance accomplishments
and areas requiring improvement.
- Provide goal setting, visioning, leadership, and strategic
direction for development volunteers. Resource Development
- Implement CRM tracking.
- Builds and supports a discipline of relationship management
within the development department.
- Responsible for managing and leading all resource development
(RD) lines of business (annual campaigns, corporate gifts, CCMSH
branded special events, etc.).
- Works with the President and CEO, VP of Programs, Collections
and Education department on grant requests.
- Works with President and CEO and VP of Programs to develop
revenue goals and objectives for development work; and develops and
directs the implementation of long- and short-range plans to meet
those goals and objectives. -
- Reviews and analyzes the strengths and weaknesses of resource
development work; researches, tests, and implements new techniques
and materials to improve the effectiveness of the work. -
- Lead Development and Communication team in the creation of a
development strategy aligned with organization goals with defined
operating plans for each year.
- Stewardship of contributions through prompt acknowledgement and
- Development of overall recognition strategy of donors and
- Analyzes the progress of annual development operating plan
goals and metrics and makes recommendations and changes as
- Cultivates and sustains positive, productive relationships with
volunteers, community and business leaders, donors, fund recipients
and staff. Communications
- Work with the President/CEO and VP of Programs in developing
and directing the implementation of long- and short-range plans for
the purpose of meeting the organization's communication goals.
- Work with the Communications and Creative Director to develop
an annual strategic/tactical communications plan. This includes the
design, shape and execution of a comprehensive, multi-faceted
customer and donor plan that builds key audiences and works to
position the CCMSH as a leader in education around history and
- Work with the Communications and Creative Director to help
CCMSH become a true story-telling organization and train all key
stakeholders on brand guidelines and key messaging. CORE
COMPETENCIES: Mission Focused: Top priority is to create
opportunities to engage and educate people in science and South
Texas history through exhibitions, programs, and education
- Ability to catalyze others' commitment to mission.
- Ability to link donor and volunteer aspirations to needs.
- Strives vigorously to accomplish shared goals.
- Separates one's own interests from organizational interests to
make the best possible judgments for the organization -
Relationship Oriented: Is able to communicate effectively to
develop, grow, and sustain productive relationships. Knows how to
capture and record relevant information and how to interpret and
utilize the information to forge partnerships, collaborate,
cultivate, grow, sustain, and strengthen internal and external
- Understands and motivates individuals and organizations. -
- Values diversity and inclusion. -
- Effectively communicates. -
- Treats others with respect and dignity. -
- Actively listens to and facilitates diverse input and
contributions. Collaborator: Understands the roles and
contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize
resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Seeks and shares knowledge of community.
- Takes a collaborative approach to addressing issues.
- Focuses on shared goals.
- Mobilizes a broad range of sectors and resources. - Results
Driven and Results Achieved: Is dedicated to shared and measurable
goals for the organization by creating, resourcing, scaling, and
leveraging innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Has a searing focus on results and can effectively communicate
goals and impact.
- Sets and maintains high performance standards for self and
others that support the goals of the organization.
- Challenges self and others to achieve "stretch" goals.
- Is personally accountable for the results they achieve. -
- Can adapt quickly to ever-changing environments. -
- Is organized, able to plan, think strategically, and is
creative, innovative, and appropriately persistent.
- Can make decisions and willing to take risks when appropriate
to achieve results and meet goals. - Brand Steward: Is a steward of
the CCMSH brand and understands his/her role in growing and
protecting the reputation and results of the organization.
- Acts with integrity and strong ethics to foster trust at all
levels (personal, market, societal).
- Defines, communicates, and consistently exemplifies the
organization's values and ethics.
- Understands brand concepts and can articulate these to
stakeholders and staff.
- Is accountable and transparent with all stakeholders.
- Respects and follows the standards and safeguards that protect
the organization's integrity (e.g., professional standards for
financial reporting, integrity of data, security of information
systems, use of organizational property, confidentiality, etc.)
LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES: Visionary
- Inspirational and persuasive communicator.
- Displays courage, resilience, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Values external networks and relationships.
- Values continued learning and development of self and others.
- Understand that people are the engine that moves the
- Focuses staff on meeting the organization's mission and
- Envisions the future of the organization through the
development of staff and volunteer talent.
- Builds and cultivates volunteer leadership suited to accomplish
- Values the diversity of people and ideas. Outward-Turning
- Works across private, public, and corporate sectors to ensure
the success of the CCMSH. FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Present oneself in an appropriate and professional manner.
Communicate, act, react and respond appropriately in all
- Effectively utilize interpersonal skills and political
astuteness to engage with, lead and function as a member of a
- Is trustworthy and acts with integrity, authenticity, humility
and in good faith, respecting others' opinions, priorities, values,
and interests. Communication Skills
- Self-confident with personable affect.
- Is understanding and uses empathy, compassion, and active
- Is fully present and aware of subtleties and nuances such as
body language and voice tonality to better understand what is
important to constituents and how to connect and engage them with
- Can influence, persuade, present, request, sell, negotiate, and
close a deal as appropriate. Utilize and Acquire Knowledge
- Is forward-thinking, focused on what is possible, and seeks new
tools and knowledge as needed.
- Can use technology when acquiring and utilizing knowledge and
is innovative and creative in its application.
- Seek to continuously improve interpersonal and professional
skills. - INTERNAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- This position works in support of and under the direction of
the President and CEO.
- This position works closely with the Vice President of Programs
and VP of Programs.
- This position supervises the Events and Sales Director and the
Communications and Creative Director. EDUCATION REQUIRED
-Bachelor's degree in business, communications, marketing, public
administration, social services, or related field required.
Master's degree in relevant field preferred. - PREVIOUS WORK
EXPERIENCE A minimum of 6 years senior level or executive
experience is required. Demonstrated fund development and
communications skills. Grant writing and grant management
experience. TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Possess strong leadership, negotiation, communication,
coaching, problem solving, project management and analytical
- Ability to effectively present information to top management
and public groups
- Ability to understand and process data extracted from
computerized information systems.
- Ability to deal with mathematical concepts and a variety of
abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Access, Excel, Word,
PowerPoint, and Outlook); CRM proficiency preferred.
- Self-confident with personable affect. OTHER: Position requires
extensive day travel and some overnight travel. Must own vehicle
and provide proof of required insurance. Applicant must be able to
lift 25 lbs. EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Executive Exempt-this
position is full-time, may exceed a 40-hour work week, and is
exempt from Fair Labor Standards and Practices overtime
compensation requirements. Employee must be available and able to
work non-traditional hours, including nights and some weekends. The
job description for this position is intended to provide an
overview of responsibilities and is not meant to be considered
Keywords: Texas Association of Museums, Austin , Vice President of Development and Communications - Corpus Christi, TX, Executive , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!