Facilities Project Manager
Company: Travis County
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Are you looking for career opportunities that provide top-notch
benefits including paid vacation & sick leave, outstanding health &
dental insurance, a free health clinic for you & your dependents, a
generous retirement plan, and much more?
Travis County's Facilities Management Department has great jobs
that serve dozens of facilities across the county. We offer stable
career options with training and tuition reimbursement available to
get you to the next level in your career.
"Please note: This position is eligible to participate in a hybrid
(on-site/remote) work schedule with the expectation that all
operational needs are successfully met. "
Project team member responsible for facility analysis and oversight
of planning, design, construction and inspection of new facilities,
renovations and remodels of existing facilities. Assigned as the
project manager on facility design and construction projects based
on technical background and as a technical expert. May also act as
the leader of a team of multi-disciplinary professionals engaged in
the design of facility projects. Serves as the key County contact
for oversight and acceptance of the work of contractors and
consultants. Responsible for understanding safety procedures and
ensuring that work is performed accordingly.
This is the first in a series of two facilities project-related job
classifications within the Engineering and Architectural job
family. This classification is distinguished by the scope of
project work, license as a Registered Architect (R.A.) or
Professional Engineer (P.E.) and required additional experience.
This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order
to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees facility design and construction services for County
departments. Provides recommendations on facility projects.
- Oversees development of project master plans and implementation
of those plans through reviews, cost estimates and construction.
Plans, designs and writes specifications for construction projects.
Prepares bid documents and works with other County departments to
procure professional services and construction contracts. Reviews
bids and recommends contract award for construction projects.
- Ensures that professional consultants provide appropriate
services related to program and scope requirements of design
projects. Ensures that vendors and contractors comply with plans
and specifications of the construction contract. Supervises the
inspection of construction in progress and of existing systems in
cooperation with relevant contractual and governmental
- Establishes project priorities and sets schedules for timely
completion of construction projects.
- Analyzes and responds to inquiries, comments and complaints
from County officials, staff and the public.
- Works closely with officials, department heads, and County
staff to establish procedures for the monitoring of contract
- Represents the County in community meetings, seminars,
conferences and professional associations. Maintains current
knowledge of professional practice and renewal of professional
license through continuing education program activities.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Structural, Mechanical,
Electrical or Civil Engineering AND three (3) years of directly
related, increasingly responsible professional architectural or
engineering planning, design or construction experience as a
licensed Registered Architect (R.A.) or Professional Engineer
(P.E.), including one (1) year of lead, management or project
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special
Licensed to practice as a Registered Architect (R.A.) or
Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Texas issued by the
Texas Board of Architectural Examiners or Texas Board of
Professional Engineers. If licensed in another state, must acquire
license reciprocity in the State of Texas within six (6) months of
date of hire.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Previous experience in Building / Remodeling Project
Proficient in the use of REVIT computer software.
Accredited Professional in Leadership in Energy and Environmental
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles and practices of architecture or engineering.
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of all other
professional building construction disciplines.
- Mathematical and statistical methods as used in engineering and
- Principles of project management, including scheduling,
estimating, contracting, and budgeting.
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules,
regulations, permits, licenses, practices, standards, policies and
- Recent developments and current literature regarding the
practices of architecture and engineering.
- Methods, practices and techniques of inspections, compliance
- Computer-aided drafting and design (CAD) methods and
- Computer equipment, including word processing, presentations,
spreadsheets, databases, graphics, project scheduling and
management, and related engineering applications.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report
- Planning and directing a variety of facility-related
- Analyzing complex data and reports.
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Applying principles and practices used in engineering and
- Contract management and project budgeting.
- Explaining complicated technical problems in simple
- Problem-solving and technical decision-making for developing
- Both verbal and written communication.Ability to:
- Plan and prioritize programs, projects and activities.
- Perform complex engineering studies, analysis and design.
- Work independently.
- Exercise sound judgment and make decisions.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse
- Plan, assign, supervise, train and review the work of
professional and technical subordinates.
- Interpret plans, specifications, standards, policies,
procedures and regulatory codes.
- Respond to inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies and
members of the professional community.
- Perform in a stressful environment while maintaining a
- Make appropriate and effective public presentations.
- Continue professional growth through continuing education.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
County employees and officials, other professionals, contractors,
representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-60
pounds, visual acuity, mental effort, speech and hearing, hand and
eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a
computer, and viewing screens for long periods. Subject to
standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping,
squatting, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching,
twisting, balancing, driving, repetitive motion, and
client/customer contact to perform the essential functions. Subject
to contact with noise, vibration, fumes, foul odor, dirt, dust,
mist, gases, and poor ventilation. Requires use of protective
devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves. Requires fieldwork, and
exposure to traffic, public work development sites, construction
site hazards, climbing and walking and traveling over rough,
uneven, mud, rocky, high grass terrain, and indoors/outdoors in all
types of weather (excessive heat and cold).
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not
necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime
eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday.
Department: Facilities Management
Location: 700 Lavaca St., Downtown, Austin.
Criminal, Driving, and Employment Background Check Required.
*Applicants are required to successfully pass the background
investigation, including fingerprint clearance.
Keywords: Travis County, Austin , Facilities Project Manager, Executive , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!