Director of Engineering (Services)
Location: Dripping Springs
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Director of Engineering
(Services) for our location in Austin, Texas.
Join the team that's helping better drivers to earn better car
insurance rates. Noblr, now a USAA company, is smart, app-powered
car insurance that empowers its members to personalize their
monthly car insurance rates using their smartphones. Our members
log their trips with the Noblr app, get driving insights that help
them continuously improve, and earn rewards for responsible
driving. Our goal is to build a safe-driving community through
Directs, plans, and organizes activities of professional and
administrative staff engaged in providing information technology
services. Provides for technical leadership in the plan, design,
development, testing, implementation, or maintenance of business
solutions. Provides high level consultation and influence on
technical solutions. Leads and directs change management, process
improvement, or technical support initiatives cross-departmentally
and within assigned unit. Contributes to and executes long- and
short-term strategic direction. Advises senior management and
provides input to aide in decision making.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial
security of millions of U.S. military members and their families.
This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking
at every level.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and
procedures for business activities.
- Responsible for developing, maintaining, testing, and
monitoring an internal control environment, including preventative
and detective controls, to effectively manage risks.
- Builds and oversees a team of employees for assigned technology
support area through ongoing execution of recruiting, development,
retention, coaching and support, performance management, and
- Oversees efforts in establishing documentation standards and
quality assurance methodologies for technology support functions
and ensure adherence to standards across teams.
- Accountable for the identification, research, and analysis of
end to end business, processes, and technology support
- Develops and oversees metrics for technology support
capabilities and/or processes (KPIs, KRIs, etc.).
- Creates a multi-year plan to operationalize a technology
support strategy, with key milestones, deliverables, and
- Oversees the creation and execution of departmental budgets and
forecasts for applicable technology support function.
- Oversees the availability management of technology solutions /
domains by applying strong change and incident management
- Works across multiple functional areas and influences future
business strategy to be able to best utilize available technology
support functions as well as future ones.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and understands the direction
of applicable technology support capabilities and ensures
technology environment is agile enough to change quickly to
- Builds successful stakeholder relationships with other IT and
business leaders by developing a clear understanding of business
needs, acting as a trusted advisor, and ensuring cost-effective
delivery of technology support services to meet those needs.
- Participates in the development of 3rd Party vendors strategy
and provides oversight to ensure achievement of technology support
- May provide oversight of vendor management activities including
service agreements, staff augmentation and technology contracts.
- Bachelor's degree OR 4 additional years of related experience
beyond the minimum required.
- 8 years of experience in a technology function to include 3
years leadership experience, demonstrated in either a supervisor or
individual contributor role, of IT Professionals in a Software
Development/Engineering or Infrastructure environment.
- Experience overseeing the technology life cycle from
requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, design, code,
documentation, testing, implementation, and support.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of technical domains that
reside within Infrastructure Services, Data or Application
- Experience conducting cost benefit analyses and leveraging
results to drive technology support solutions.
- Demonstrated thought leadership in embedding intuitive story
telling of technology support functions including concise
presentation of complex technical details.
- Previous experience managing multiple tasks and
responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at
pinpointing and resolving problems in early stages to avoid
- Experience and ability to drive a culture of quality and
personal accountability through technology support teams.
- Demonstrated experience in vendor contract management and
management of distributed development teams and resources.
- Demonstrated financial acumen involving budgets, forecasting,
and executing on the budgets for applicable technology support
- Advanced facilitation, collaboration and consensus building
skills, with experience in presenting to cross-functional teams and
- Experience in inspiring, leading, and defining vision, strategy
and organizational change.
- Demonstrated experience in explaining complex technology
decisions to both technical and nontechnical audiences at all
levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to influence change at the executive level
and team level.
- Understanding of relevant industry frameworks, i.e. COBIT,
ITIL, SAFe, etc.
- Understanding of Legislative and Regulatory Compliance
Requirements. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- 8+ years of API development experience.
- 2+ years of experience in managing engineering teams as an
Engineering Manager or you are in transition to this role.
- 8+ years of experience in building secure, scalable, reliable,
and available API services for internal and external entities.
- 8+ years of experience with API Security and Identity protocols
(OAuth, SAML, and SSO).
- 8+ years of experience in Java, relational and NoSQL, and
- 8+ years of experience in using AWS ecosystem.
- Experience with hashing and encryption/ decryption
- Experience taking ideas from concept to market.
- Recent experience working in a startup. The above description
reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal
functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed
description of all the work requirements that may be performed in
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and
establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid
within the salary range based on your experience and market
position. The salary range for this position is: $135,200 -
$243,500 (this does not include geographic differential it may be
applied based on your work location). Employees may be eligible for
pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual
performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is
additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations
where market pay levels are above the national average. Shift
Premium will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable
roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their
physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include
comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension,
life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time
off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and
various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning
and continuing education assists employees with their professional
goals. Please visit USAA Total Rewards for more details.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Keywords: USAA, Austin , Director of Engineering (Services), Executive , Dripping Springs, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!