Firmware Engineer - OSS
Company: Arm Holding
Posted on: August 17, 2019
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment because of race,
color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or
any other federal, state or local protected class.
Job DescriptionArm is at the heart of the world's most advanced
digital products. Our technology enables the creation of new
markets and transformation of industries and society. We design
scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to
deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to
servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure
and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by Arm Partners who have
shipped more than 50 billion Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our
intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together
with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to
innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a
fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics
About The Role
Are you an experienced Software Developer with a strong background
in Systems Software Development? At Arm we seek highly motivated
individuals who have a professional approach to Software
Development and an interest in open source software. You would join
a growing team of like-minded individuals that share a passion for
pushing forward the future of computing wherever that ambition may
lead. You will help Arm maintain its leadership in the low-power
embedded market, as well as playing a meaningful role in helping
Arm grow as we create innovate cutting edge solutions. These
solutions are used by Arm partners in numerous of customer products
from Mobile and Server, through IoT to Automotive industries.
The Arm Open Source Software group enables these partners to build
software on Arm IP-based systems. We develop and contribute to open
source projects, providing essential reference implementations and
optimisations to key software system components, and also validated
software stacks for Arm IP-based reference platforms used in
As a Software Developer you will be a member of the Open Source
Software group, specifically in either the Firmware or Platforms
teams. As such your responsibilities will include developing
software for the Armv8 architecture, as well as building our
software ecosystem around Arm's current and next generation
- You will contribute to the design and development of reference
secure firmware for Arm application processors and MCUs.
- Your day to day role will involve low level software
development, test and debug on various platforms, including
software models, development boards and shipping products
- You will be creating software stacks for Arm's reference
platforms for next generation of Arm devices.
- We want you to be able to analyse industry specs, roadmap
requirements, breakdown tasks and help execute the project
- We would like you to aspire to provide the best technical
advice and direction to both Arm's, and Arm Partners', platform
- Your activities will involve upstreaming and maintenance
As an active member of an extended Open Source Software group you
can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest
household names in our industry. Your goal will be to help develop,
optimize and deliver the software needed to support Arm's state of
the art IP. This helps Arm grow its role in new embedded, consumer
and enterprise market segments.
Job RequirementsEducation & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
reuired. Master's or PhD preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in embedded software
- Minimum 3 years in software security required.
Essential Skills & Experience
- You will have excellent C skills; some assembly skills are
desirable with proficiency with the GNU toolchain and/or LLVM and
- You have expertise in low level systems software development
and a command over a range of related concepts such as bootloaders,
device drivers, OS fundamentals and low level power
- We look for an understanding kernel development or userspace
system level programming.
- We require authoritative knowledge of multi-core software
development including cache coherency concepts
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are
looking for excellent written and spoken English; can you write
precise documentation, influence and build consensus? Do you have
the capability to support key partners with their internal
- You are disciplined and self-motivated with the ability to work
independently and in a distributed team; showing a willingness to
be flexible and accept new challenges
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to
work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving
with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your
Desirable Skills & Experience
- You have an understanding of software security concepts,
methods and technologies.
- We seek individuals who have experience of software profiling,
instrumentation and optimization
- You will exhibit an understanding of how to rigorously test
software using various techniques
- You are familiar and flexible in the use of various software
development lifecycle methods including Agile
- We value familiarity with open-source project development
cycles and contribution processes
- You can show an awareness of the value of a rigorous CI and
automated test system
- Your background shows practical expertise in version control
systems, particularly distributed tools such as Git or
- You can demonstrate a proficiency with scripting languages such
as Python or Perl
- You can exhibit knowledge of software design techniques and how
to maintain compatibility are within your skill set
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare
culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to
defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate - and that everyone
misses out when we don't.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and
- The essence of progress is that it can't stop. Grow with it and
own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying 'I don't know'.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
BenefitsYour particular benefits package will depend on position
and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package
will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm's benefits program
provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay
innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and
create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only,
shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: caf-- on site, fitness facilities,
team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for
health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel
Accident Program & Commuter programs.
ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information,
please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
About ArmArm-- technology is at the heart of a computing and
connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live
and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our
advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the
intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering
products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer.
With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most
famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation
into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network
and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of
dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By
enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all
our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share
their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global
About the officeThe Arm Austin office employs staff from across all
divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North
America. Austin has the nickname of "Silicon Hills" thanks to the
high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the
"Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by
Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix
are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top
destination for both residents and travelers.
Austin, TX USA
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735
Keywords: Arm Holding, Austin , Firmware Engineer - OSS, Engineering , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!