IoT Cellular Research Engineer
Company: Arm Holding
Posted on: January 15, 2019
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
We are looking to add a cellular networking engineer into Arm's IoT platform research team. This team works closely with IoT business unit, partners, and wider academia to identify promising nascent ideas in the IoT domain and develop them into tomorrow's key software systems and technologies.
What will I be accountable for?
Arm Research plays a central role in identifying gaps in current technologies and in conducting world-leading research to fill those gaps. You will join a team developing core IoT connectivity technologies for addressing emerging IoT use cases. This is a rare opportunity to work in a small, focused R & D team and help drive Arm's mission of securely connecting and deploying IoT devices based on Arm microcontrollers. We desire a hands-on system software engineer with expertise in cellular/LPWAN technology and protocols with a focus on end-to-end system architecture. Your role will encompass advancing the state-of-the-art in the IoT connectivity domain through contributions to Arm's Pelion and Mbed platforms to enable our customers to efficiently build, deploy, secure, and handle connected IoT products on Arm based devices.
- You are a creative engineer with experience in the networking domain, particularly in cellular networking (4G LTE/5G) and low-power wide area network technologies (LoRaWAN, NB-IoT).
- You possess the ability to see the big picture, question the norm, and articulate the problem.
- You can translate relatively abstract ideas into concrete workable solutions.
- You love experimenting with groundbreaking technologies that may be relatively immature at the time of their use.
- You are good in identifying the technology trade-offs and can synthesize pragmatic solutions to the problems at hand by judiciously using published and open-source technologies.
- You are a strong programmer and are not afraid to dive in large code bases.
- You are thrilled at the prospect of enabling the vision of a trillion interconnected devices.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Bachelor or advanced degree (MS or Ph. D.) in Computer Science or related disciplines
- In-depth knowledge of cellular technologies such as 3G/4G LTE/5G/LPWAN/NB-IoT
- Networking basics with a good understanding of core technologies such as IPv6, BGP, VPN, DHCP, etc.
- Experience working with testbeds (real test bed or simulated using NS3 etc) and simulation tools (e.g. virtual EPC, Quagga, packet tracer, GNS3.) is highly desirable
- Minimum 5 years of experience in programming and system software development
- Working knowledge of security fundamentals including PKI, TLS, cryptography, etc.
- Excellent programming and debugging skills in C / C++ / Assembly
- Experience with scripting languages such as bash, Python, etc.
- Experience in IoT industry and exposure to other IoT networking protocols (e.g. BLE, Wifi, Thread) is a huge plusDesired behaviors for this role:
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unusual culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and craft extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is needed, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate - and that everyone misses out when we don'tPassion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can't stop. Grow with it and lead your own progressBe your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying 'I don't know'
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightlyWith offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organization of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, versatile, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we support our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm's benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: caf-- on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs.
ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm-- technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The Arm Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of "Silicon Hills" thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the "Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
Austin, TX USA
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735
See on Google maps
Keywords: Arm Holding, Austin , IoT Cellular Research Engineer, Engineering , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!