Power and Performance Lead Engineer - 177423
Posted on: August 7, 2022
What You Do At AMD Changes EverythingAt AMD, we push the
boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world
for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing,
graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for
gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.Developing great
technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who
understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile"
to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the
passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries,
deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of
passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities
available to come join our team. Power and Performance Lead
Engineer - 177423 THE ROLE As AMD grows, growing our leadership in
systems engineering expertise is essential for all the new products
in the AMD pipeline. We supply semiconductors, high-performance
computing, graphics, and visualization technologies for PC, gaming,
and data center industries.As the product lead engineer you will be
expected to lead technical experts internally and externally, to
guide complex products from end to end from design to delivery. The
role requires an unusual mix of technical breadth, problem solving,
and soft skills.It's not for the overly introverted. It is for the
ambitious engineer who appreciates having a high-visibility role
and making an impact. Each week brings new challenges. Your ability
to solve problems and to inspire others to solve problems matters
to the whole organization as well as to the industry. The systems
power and performance lead engineer is a cross-functional technical
leader. Successful power and performance engineers drive technical
decisions and maintain an even keel. You will need to learn as you
go and mentor along the way as well.Overall Responsibilities
- Own performance/watt attainment for mobile client APU products
supporting with continuous test, debug, analysis, & defect
resolution throughout the course of a program.
- Work closely with the System Architect to set power and
performance attainment objectives.
- Develop methodologies to optimize HW and SW power management to
maximize performance and user-experience on AC and on DC
- Author and Implement strategies & test plans for
product-specific performance/watt, feature, and target market
spaces as appropriate; identify risks & build mitigation
- Own hardware & resource planning for the pertinent product
space addressing product needs.
- Support cross-functional technical teams with targeted analyses
through hands-on testing.
- Engage with cross-functional leadership to integrate
deliverables with project work streams.
- Engage with customer engineering and the customers on power and
performance optimization problems, promptly resolve issues.
- Feedback improvement areas to the various teams, including the
power management architecture, IP, SoC, O/S, FW, and silicon
enablement team s.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams on common program test
& debug activities and process improvements. Technical Skills
- Brings depth and expertise in product performance-per-watt
- Expert at tackling multi-variable problems via system level
modeling, testing and characterization, trend analysis/projection,
and model verification.
- Speaks SW not just HW - understand system-level power
management trade-offs, both at HW and SW levels.
- Understands system-level thermal, power, frequency, and/or
voltage limited workload behavior, and the impact of hardware
design trade-offs on the limiters.
- Understands CPU core design and architecture at
micro-architecture, L2/L3 cache design hierarchy, and core complex
- Understands physical design and RTL-level trade-offs to
attained best performance-per-watt for product IP mix and
- Understands GPU power/performance, SW power management, and
- Understands multimedia and peripheral IP SW/HW power management
and optimal perf/watt attainment strategies. Leadership Skills
- Effective with communication and building respect while
communicating status to executive level audience.
- Accomplished listener who can analyze, abstract, communicate
the big picture, and bring along the team.
- Develop strong partnerships with program stakeholders across
the organization and development partners outside the
- Excellent verbal communication and written, presentation
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, analytical, planning,
and technical management skills. Preferred Experience
- Product development with hardware platforms and their software
& firmware ecosystems.
- Experience in the PC architecture space and familiarity with
hands-on system setup & testing.
- Direct technical experience on APU/CPU system performance
analysis and micro-architectural power management.
- Proven ability to deliver large cross-functional technical
- Experience working in a fast-paced matrixed technical
organization and multi-site environment. EDUCATION Bachelor's
Degree (BS) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering,
Computer Science or relevant discipline plus a minimum of 10 years
of industry experience including at least 3-5 years focused on
system engineering and power/performance. Master's Degree (MS)
- Austin, Texas Requisition Number: 177423Country: United States
State: Texas City: AustinJob Function: Design Benefits offered are
described here .AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from
headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment
services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers.
We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital
status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national
origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation,
sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or
veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Keywords: AMD, Austin , Power and Performance Lead Engineer - 177423, Engineering , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!