Senior Technical Writer & Designer
Posted on: September 14, 2018
This position works on the Technical Communications team developing and updating internal and end-user content for use and support of Luminex products.Team members within this group possess skills ranging from technical writing, multimedia development, and instructional design.Content produced by this team may include manuals, package inserts, quick guides, classroom training and e-learning materials, multimedia and any other content deemed necessary to ensure customer and employee success.
Through participation in analysis of audience and performance tasks, as well as product knowledge transfers, the Senior Technical Writer & Designer will gather information about the product and transform the information into clear, concise, and accurate product content. This role will be responsible for developing the following types of content:
- Technical use documentation in the form of manuals, package inserts, quick guides and various other documents
- Visual design elements, including graphics, infographics, product photographs, instructional materials, and other types of multimedia.
The goal is to simplify complex concepts, attractively present information, and maximize user comprehension and information retention.
Luminex is seeking an individual who can collaborate openly and effectively with people at all levels in an organization, who has a commitment to excellence in their work, and who has a desire to continually improve content.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Create technical and instructional content, for delivery in various methods (electronic, print, or in the classroom).
- Collaborate with Technical Writers to write technical product use content.
- Collaborate with Instructional Designers and Marketing to design visual elements and layout elements.
- Ensure materials are:
- Presented in a manner that is understandable and functional for the intended audience.
- Aligned with Luminex's corporate strategy and brand, as well as the technical and instructional content visual strategy and style guide.
- Visually pleasing.
- Suggest ways to improve content with formatting and visuals.
- Play an active role in technical and instructional content analysis and design activities.Understand the purpose or function of the content (based on user needs) before beginning development.
- Proactively engage with SMEs to gather product knowledge for efficient development-attend knowledge transfers, participate in hands-on training and use the product.Continually strive to increase knowledge of Luminex technologies and products.
- Be accountable for deliverables assigned in the project portfolio, driven by company timelines and goals.
- Work with project managers to establish milestones for documentation development and delivery, providing accurate work estimates and updates to CPC and manager.
- Attend meetings, as needed, on behalf of department and report information and status updates to CPC and content team.
- Initiate effective solutions to project challenges, continuously analyzing complex problems and gaining buy-in for efficient resolutions.
- Manage multiple priorities with the ability to assess and adjust quickly to the changing scope of the business.
- Establish and communicate internal technical documentation review procedures. Perform real-time reviews on documentation, as needed, to meet the needs of the internal business partners.
- Verify all documented product-use procedures for accuracy and usability prior to submitting for approval.
- Create and edit internal department procedures and job aids to develop or update innovative processes.
- Adhere to departmental SOPs, Job Aids and Luminex Corporation OPs.
- Work with Regulatory and Quality departments to ensure that documentation meets required regulations.
- Collaborate with product managers to create annual localization project budgets, as needed.
- Follow established processes to ensure all localized documentation is aligned with English document creation or revision.
- Consistently seek methods to improve content.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Judgement - ability to use discernment in assessing business challenges
- Learning on the Fly-learns quickly/open to change
- Organizational Agility-knows how to go through the proper channels to get things done
- Peer Relationship-cooperative, team player, trusted and supported by peers
- Planning-sets specific goals and objectives, ability to plan for the length and difficulty of assignments, ability to break down projects into specific tasks/steps
- Priority Setting-focuses on what is most important
- Written Communications-effectively communicates in writing
- Organizational Relationship - Ability to establish strong relationships with other employees at all levels
- Time Management - the ability to work independently to deadlines
- Bachelor's Degree in Technical Writing, Communication Design, Visual Communication or related field
Required Certifications/Licenses/Special Skills:
- Expert level knowledge of authoring tools, such as Adobe FrameMaker, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Articulate Storyline, MadCap Flare, Perforce, SnagIt, Microsoft Office, or similar products
- Knowledge of utilizing graphics, animation, other forms of multimedia for the purposes of communicating information to customers, employees, or other outside parties
- Working knowledge ofDITA, HTML and CSS
- Understand the essential phases in the content development process
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent spelling and grammar, understanding standard revision process, and technical documentation conventions.
- Willingness to work in the lab to obtain knowledge needed to produce high quality documentation, including interviewing subject matter experts and exploring and conducting tests on hardware / software to obtain knowledge.
- High level of enthusiasm, motivation, organization, and demonstrated personal initiative to independently obtain items needed and deliver on tight deadlines.
- Ability to quickly learn and understand new technical topics and communicate them in a way that is meaningful to the target audience
- Proven technical ability to understand the impact of technical changes, and to articulate high level technical solutions to address business problems
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated ability to identify issues, solve them quickly and well, and know when to rely on internal resources to assist
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, able to communicate and negotiate at various levels, and generate opportunities for repeat business
- Preferred knowledge and understanding of FDA, EU, CA, USDA, ISO, and cGMP practices and regulations
- Medical lab knowledge is a strong plus
Required Work Experience:
- 5 years' experience as a Technical Writer
- 2 years' experience in content visual design or graphic design
- Experience in technical and educational content creation
- Must work onsite at Luminex office at least 90% of the time
- Travel may be required approximately: 10% of the time
- Ability to handle pressure of meeting tight deadlines
- Work is normally performed in a typical office environment and in direct content with others
- Possible exposure to mechanical, biological, or chemical hazards
- Lifting/Use of Strength is Light (up to 20 pounds)
- Climbing on the job is required:Never--This job does not require the demand.
- Kneeling on the job is required:Occasionally--Up to 33% of the time
- Reaching on the job is required:Occasionally--Up to 33% of the time
- Stooping on the job is required:Occasionally--Up to 33% of the time
- Vision (Color) on the job is required:Frequently--From 33% to 66% of the
Keywords: Luminex, Austin , Senior Technical Writer & Designer, Advertising , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!