Company: State Auditors Office
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Career Opportunities with State Auditor's Office A great place
to work. Careers At State Auditor's Office Current job
opportunities are posted here as they become available. Subscribe
to our RSS feeds to receive instant updates as new positions become
available. MONTHLY SALARY: To be determined by the Legislative
Audit Committee, commensurate with qualifications and experience
Please submit the following information: A letter of interest that
addresses your interest in the position as well as your
qualifications relative to the State Auditor job announcement A
current resume At least three professional references If you have
any questions on how to apply, please contact Barry Holcomb, Human
Resources Manager at Barry.Holcomb@sao.texas.gov or 512-936-9500.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The State Auditor manages and directs the
activities of the State Auditor's Office (SAO) in accordance with
generally accepted auditing standards as prescribed by the American
Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Governmental
Accounting Standards Board, the United States Government
Accountability Office, or other professionally recognized entities
that prescribe auditing standards. The State Auditor provides
unbiased, timely, and relevant information that the Legislature can
use to promote government accountability and improve government
operations. Reports to the Legislative Audit Committee (LAC) and
has extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent
judgment to promote efficient and effective work processes.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Oversees, directs and controls all administrative and
management functions of the SAO.
- Recommends the audit plan for the State for each year to the
LAC through consideration of a statewide risk assessment in Texas
- Conducts audits of state agencies and institutions of higher
education, as specified in the audit plan, and issues a written
report for each audit conducted. At the direction of the LAC, the
State Auditor shall conduct an audit or investigation of any entity
receiving funds from the State.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with the
LAC, legislators and legislative staff.
- Employs and provides leadership to SAO staff necessary and
appropriate to accomplish agency objectives.
- Creates an environment within the SAO that drives towards more
efficient internal work processes and organizational
- Develops departmental programs, procedures, policies and
legislative proposals for implementing recommendations to enhance
the effectiveness and efficiency of the agency.
- Analyzes internal and external information to assess risk
factors and identify high-risk issues. GENERAL QUALIFICATION
GUIDELINES: Experience and Education Per section 321.006 of the
Government Code, in order to be eligible for appointment as the
State Auditor, a person must have unquestioned integrity and moral
character and must have had at least five years' experience: (1) as
a certified public accountant in this or another state; and (2) in
a professional or administrative position a major duty of which
involved fiscal management, the review of fiscal management, or the
auditing or review of operational efficiency or program
performance. Additionally, per section 321.007 of the Government
Code, the State Auditor may not serve as an ex officio member on
any administrative board or commission, nor may he or she have a
financial interest in the transactions of any department.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Auditing standards
- Research and analytical techniques
- Management procedures and management standards
- Human resource management, especially performance
- Methods for creating organizational strategies that align all
resources to achieve the vision/mission of the organization
- State Government operations
- The legislative process Skill and Ability to:
- Effectively lead and direct the activities of a complex
- Review reports and information for clarity, quality and
sufficiency of evidence
- Develop relationships with customers such as legislators,
legislative staff, agency and university executives
- Communicate effectively (oral and written), including planning
and delivering speeches and presentations, training, audit reports,
correspondence, and other written materials.
- Identifying and implementing appropriate change strategies
involving human resources management in an organization. The State
Auditor's Office is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, or disability in employment or in the provision of
services. Applicants should communicate requests for
disability-related accommodations during the application process to
our Human Resources Office.
Keywords: State Auditors Office, Austin , State Auditor, Accounting, Auditing , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!