Manager of Financial Accountability
Company: Texas Education Agency
Posted on: August 3, 2020
MISSION: -The Texas Education Agency (TEA) will improve outcomes
for all public-school students in the state by providing
leadership, guidance, and support to school systems.POSITION
OVERVIEW: -The Manger of Financial Accountability is a critical
position to the Agency and the division because their role impacts
the financial operations of 1,200 charter schools and school
districts. The work involves conducting, planning, scheduling,
coordinating, and reviewing audits and reporting results; and
providing guidance and assistance in governmental and nonprofit
auditing and accounting. The manager leads a team in assigning
financial ratings to all districts and charters. The person plans,
assigns, and/or supervises the work of others. This position
performs highly advanced and/or managerial (senior-level) auditing
work. They are responsible for the final production of reports. The
successful candidate corresponds with school district or charter
school personnel, school district or charter school auditors and/or
the public in general. The position works under minimal supervision
with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent
judgment.Please note that a resume and tailored cover letter are
required attachments for applying to this position. Incomplete
applications will not be considered.Applicants who are strongly
being considered for employment must submit to a national criminal
history background check.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises a team that issues financial accountability ratings
for districts and charter schools.
- Completes all fiscal management, School Health and Related
Services (SHARS), special allotment, and CPA workpaper audits and
reviews in accordance with the audit plan and in a timely
- Provides excellent technical guidance and communication through
various ways to agency personnel, school district and charter
school personnel, ESC personnel, and other stakeholders.
- Ensures all audit and review programs are kept up to date,
incorporating the most recent changes to laws, rules, and
accounting changes. Including risk assessment and procedure changes
to the audits and reviews.
- Coordinates the development, analysis, and review of financial
data and applicable business, financial, and/or regulatory
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Education: -Graduation from an accredited
four-year college or university with a major in accounting,
finance, business, or related field.Experience: -At least 7 years
of Accounting and/or Auditing experience include 4+ years in a
supervisory role. Five or more years of school district and/or
nonprofit accounting or auditing experience is preferred.OTHER
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred or other
industry recognized certification/license.
- Knowledge of Generally accepted government auditing standards
and procedures; generally accepted accounting principles, methods
- Working knowledge of the Financial Accountability System
Resource Guide, and the Public Education Information Management
- Planning and auditing, preparing audit work programs, reviewing
documentation, interviewing & gathering information, preparing work
papers, developing issues/findings and preparing audit
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access, Excel and Word.
- Prove ability to compose clear, concise audit reports, gather
and analyze accurate and relevant information, communicate
effectively, evaluate accounting and management operations systems
for accuracy and legal conformance, and accurately complete and
assemble audit work papers.
- Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive
- Highly organized with an ability to manage multiple projects at
once and meet deadlines.
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to produce high
quality work in a dynamic environment.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skill in meeting the needs of a wide variety of both internal
and external stakeholders with a strong customer service
- A desire to self-reflect, give/receive feedback and
- Ability to engage in a collaborative, results-oriented team
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to
race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or
veteran status, unless an applicant is entitled to the veteran's
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code)
information can be accessed -.
This position requires the applicant to meet Agency standards and
criteria which may include passing a pre-employment criminal
background check, prior to being offered employment by the
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the high volume of
applications, we do not accept telephone calls and cannot reply to
all email inquiries. Only candidates selected for interview will be
Keywords: Texas Education Agency, Austin , Manager of Financial Accountability, Accounting, Auditing , Austin, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!